Give me your advice, Any experience is welcomed.

ajremington68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So on Facebook marketplace, I found a couple getting rid of their 90-gal with stand sump and lights and other miscellaneous items. They said it has been running for 7 years with no problem just took it down over the winter and has been in their heated basement. Just needs to be cleaned and loved again. Now, the lights are 2 gen 3 xr30 radions not sure if they are pro with mount and power supply, but they said they work as well. The whole setup is 300, and while I don't need it I was thinking of checking it out if the seams aren't bad on the tank and sump, as well as the shape of the stand, buying it and cleaning it up, and flipping it. (DISCLAIMER very bored and just want to try this as a side task to make a little extra money). Also thinking about cleaning and flipping the lights or keeping them for my current 55-gallon tank. Questions are:
1. Will it be hard to re-seal the tank? I want to do it no matter what with it being a min of 7yrs old.
2. Are the Gen 3 XR30 Bad or good lights? How much do they run for and are they known for pooping out?
3. Would you endeavor in this or should I pass on it?

OP
OP
ajremington68

ajremington68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So on Facebook marketplace, I found a couple getting rid of their 90-gal with stand sump and lights and other miscellaneous items. They said it has been running for 7 years with no problem just took it down over the winter and has been in their heated basement. Just needs to be cleaned and loved again. Now, the lights are 2 gen 3 xr30 radions not sure if they are pro with mount and power supply, but they said they work as well. The whole setup is 300, and while I don't need it I was thinking of checking it out if the seams aren't bad on the tank and sump, as well as the shape of the stand, buying it and cleaning it up, and flipping it. (DISCLAIMER very bored and just want to try this as a side task to make a little extra money). Also thinking about cleaning and flipping the lights or keeping them for my current 55-gallon tank. Questions are:
1. Will it be hard to re-seal the tank? I want to do it no matter what with it being a min of 7yrs old.
2. Are the Gen 3 XR30 Bad or good lights? How much do they run for and are they known for pooping out?
3. Would you endeavor in this or should I pass on it?
Also does the seams of the tank and sump even matter if I plan to reseal them regardless?

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The silicone that you see and can touch is not what seals the tank or holds it together. The actual sealant is on the edge of the glass pane; where one edge meets the surface of the adjacent piece. I believe the silicon on the inside is just to protect the actual seams but I could be mistaken

OP
OP
ajremington68

ajremington68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The silicone that you see and can touch is not what seals the tank or holds it together. The actual sealant is on the edge of the glass pane; where one edge meets the surface of the adjacent piece. I believe the silicon on the inside is just to protect the actual seams but I could be mistaken
Gotcha so if the outside seams aren't bad. Theoretically, the inside seams are not bad, because it's been protecting them. And re-doing the outside seams would just put a new coat of defense for the inside seams?

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not an expert, but yes I believe this is correct. There was a recent thread where someone was redoing panels and explained it

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotcha, any experience with ecotech? I know everyone says they are the mecha. Would a gen 3 still hold up today do you think?
Depends how much use it had and what intensities it was run at. Over long periods of time and usage, leds start to put out less light than when they are new, and you have to turn them up more

Hypothetically if it was run at 30-40% for 7 years it would have less output degradation compared to if it was run at 90-100%

OP
OP
ajremington68

ajremington68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends how much use it had and what intensities it was run at. Over long periods of time and usage, leds start to put out less light than when they are new, and you have to turn them up more

Hypothetically if it was run at 30-40% for 7 years it would have less output degradation compared to if it was run at 90-100%
Gotcha, not expecting you to know, but are you still able to access it on ecosmart live app with a gen 3 XR30? If the tank is up to par and I got it I will rent a par meter from my LFS and compare it to new gen 3 xr30 par settings to see how much wear and tear they truly have.

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The new versions being sold are gen 6. And from what read gen 5 and 6 both decreased in par output but improved in color blending. Par output decreased as the new models came out

OP
OP
ajremington68

ajremington68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The new versions being sold are gen 6. And from what read gen 5 and 6 both decreased in par output but improved in color blending. Par output decreased as the new models came out
Also, I noticed gen 5 and 6 have the screen of leds while the 4 and down have the two pucks. Wonder if the screens are more spread?

Readywriter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotcha so if the outside seams aren't bad. Theoretically, the inside seams are not bad, because it's been protecting them. And re-doing the outside seams would just put a new coat of defense for the inside seams?
I once bought a used tank that looked pretty rough. Took me about a week to get all the nastiness off the glass. I was like 14 years old at the time and not at all confident that I could take the tank apart and reseal it, but the inside seams looked awful, so I very carefully cut the inside seam out without letting the blade touch the silicone between the panes, wiped it down with vinegar multiple times and then once it was definitely dry I ran a new bead of silicone on the inside.

Im pretty sure about everyone would say this was a terrible idea but it worked.

OP
OP
ajremington68

ajremington68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I once bought a used tank that looked pretty rough. Took me about a week to get all the nastiness off the glass. I was like 14 years old at the time and not at all confident that I could take the tank apart and reseal it, but the inside seams looked awful, so I very carefully cut the inside seam out without letting the blade touch the silicone between the panes, wiped it down with vinegar multiple times and then once it was definitely dry I ran a new bead of silicone on the inside.

Im pretty sure about everyone would say this was a terrible idea but it worked.
See lots say never a good idea and to buy brand new, but new tanks are 500- couple thousand and I’m ballin on a budget. But I have heard people with experience resealing saying it’s not hard and works. Herm

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 12.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 90 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.1%
Back