Most likely a soda bottle..

Screenshot_20200711-213546_Google.jpg

Scratch08

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What paul uses is not in my area. The quikcrete repair mortar is the closest I could find.

Thin than second coat globs in places to make it look aged and texture.

Than let it cure for a couple of weeks. Anything else I should do.

I'm reading through your thread.
Let it dry for a day or two, stick it in a bucket of saltwater with a powerhead, will help to pull any impurities out.

OP
OP
sfin52

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting, I don't think I'll be adding bottles to my tank to look like bottles (just don't care for the look personally, no offense if you do tho) but I might use them as a base to form fake rock around in the future for a nice hollow base.
My goal is to integrate into a reef to hide the bottle mostly. Sorta like your base.

If you want to look up @Paul B has an interesting stand for his base.

DSEKULA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My goal is to integrate into a reef to hide the bottle mostly. Sorta like your base.

If you want to look up @Paul B has an interesting stand for his base.
Nice!
I'm my most current build I used pvc and made a "rock" that screws together for easy removal etc. In the past I've used pvc and acrylic for bases or small rocks or bioballs or bricks to give a nice light fake rock.

Casket_Case

Frags in the Frathouse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Serious question- do any of your tank life forms take up residence inside your bottles?
Mine do. My chalk bass, David likes them. He especially loves this really thin bottle I guess because he’s small and it makes him feel safe? I’m wanting to get gobies, blennies, or Goldtail damsels because I’d think they’d live in them too. Here’s a picture of David and his glass
CFDAA92C-F7AD-47BC-A4D8-933BDD649707.jpeg

Back where it all began

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine do. My chalk bass, David likes them. He especially loves this really thin bottle I guess because he’s small and it makes him feel safe? I’m wanting to get gobies, blennies, or Goldtail damsels because I’d think they’d live in them too. Here’s a picture of David and his glass
CFDAA92C-F7AD-47BC-A4D8-933BDD649707.jpeg
Very cool

KenO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On my recent tank upgrade from a 45 cube to a 60 cube (used tank) the holes drilled in the tank were for 3/4” bulkheads. I enlarged the holes to fit 1” bulkheads using diamond tipped bits for my Dremel. Some of the bits were pointed. They could be used to drill holes in bottles or to make jagged score lines that the glass could be broken on. The bits could also be used to remove sharp edges. Go slow and wear safety goggles. I got the bits from Amazon for $13.

Back