Glass Canopy blocking light...

  • Thread starter Thread starter lyrical
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

lyrical

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 23, 2015
Messages
399
Reaction score
197
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am curious what you guys think about a glass canopy filtering lights for the corals. I have one that came with my setup and have been using it the last few days since I have a couple "jumpers."

Pros - Cuts down on evap by 1/2 so far.

Cons - Possible light diffusion by condensation/glass, harder to access tank.

TIA (:
 
Get some eggcrate diffuser from Home Depot or Lowe's and cut it to it over the opening. Problem solved ;)

Alternately, BRS sells a DIY screen kit that you can customize to fit your tank.
 
Thanks :) I am familiar with the alternatives... I was just curious what you guys thought about the glass.
 
It depends on how far above the glass your lights are to some extent. The refraction you'll get should be pretty minimal on clean glass, but the further you get, the more diffuse it will be in the tank.
 
It depends on how far above the glass your lights are to some extent. The refraction you'll get should be pretty minimal on clean glass, but the further you get, the more diffuse it will be in the tank.

Right now it's about 8" from the waterline so maybe 5" from the glass? I'll have to double check that though.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 2 15.4%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 2 15.4%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 3 23.1%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 6 46.2%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new