Glass chip on outside of bottom corner - trustworthy?

Zeromus-X

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking at a used Waterbox Reef 130.4 and noticed there’s a chip in the glass in the bottom corner. The chip doesn’t appear to have any fractures or anything and isn’t very deep (maybe a coin depth?), and just looks cosmetic. But that’s a lot of weight and it’s the bottom corner. Would you do it?

59E68C6D-AC94-458E-A32A-FE1DA1C319E9.jpeg

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Looking at a used Waterbox Reef 130.4 and noticed there’s a chip in the glass in the bottom corner. The chip doesn’t appear to have any fractures or anything and isn’t very deep (maybe a coin depth?), and just looks cosmetic. But that’s a lot of weight and it’s the bottom corner. Would you do it?

59E68C6D-AC94-458E-A32A-FE1DA1C319E9.jpeg
As
Long as what I circled is cosmetic and not a breach of the silicone I wouldn’t have a problem with it. I did the same thing with one of my brand new Red Sea tanks. But it might be a top corner. This appears to be a chip and if it isn’t cracked it should be fine. That is to say if the price is right.

427A0790-C1FE-467F-AFC3-1B4B37128091.jpeg

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi, welcome to the reef... :)
Sorry , would not take the chance, keep looking...;)

Auto-pilot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank got a chip in it similar to that one, someone hit it with something and it's never caused a problem for me. I'd send it if that's the only problem but that's just my opinion

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What could go wrong for me if I tell you to go ahead?
Go for it!
I might fill it up out side before I brought it into the house.
I think I would spend more money to avoid trying to go to sleep after I filled it in the house. Which reminds me, I have a garage tank that I don’t worry at all about. It overflowed last power outage and that made me realize that I had adjusted the returns to low to prevent siphoning when the power fails. I had water already mixed so it was just an emergency water change.

All that to say; “It really depends on your situation and the amount you may fret over the ticking time bomb if consequences. The peace of mind is what you are paying for and the impacts of a failure are what you don’t need to consider before the thing let’s go.

Do you rent or live upstairs?
Gl!

OP
OP
Zeromus-X

Zeromus-X

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As
Long as what I circled is cosmetic and not a breach of the silicone I wouldn’t have a problem with it. I did the same thing with one of my brand new Red Sea tanks. But it might be a top corner. This appears to be a chip and if it isn’t cracked it should be fine. That is to say if the price is right.

427A0790-C1FE-467F-AFC3-1B4B37128091.jpeg
Good eye - the chip doesn’t touch the silicone but the silicone is ripped (lack of a better way to put it?) a little bit in that corner. It’s about the width of a penny’s edge and looks unrelated to the chip. Almost like a kid picked at it or stuck something in it.

I don’t have a picture from the front angle but from what I can tell the chip is only a few millimeters deep and has no apparent fractures.

Tank is selling for less than half new price and includes everything a new one comes with. It’s also a few hundred less than the smaller Marine X 110.4 which is my alternative if I go with a new one instead.

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Good eye - the chip doesn’t touch the silicone but the silicone is ripped (lack of a better way to put it?) a little bit in that corner. It’s about the width of a penny’s edge and looks unrelated to the chip. Almost like a kid picked at it or stuck something in it.

I don’t have a picture from the front angle but from what I can tell the chip is only a few millimeters deep and has no apparent fractures.

Tank is selling for less than half new price and includes everything a new one comes with. It’s also a few hundred less than the smaller Marine X 110.4 which is my alternative if I go with a new one instead.
Many will tell you not to? But I don’t see an issue if is just the chip. When I did it to mine I barely touched it to something when we were carrying it and I saw it happen. Doesn’t take a big hit to do it if I just hit wrong. If it was starred and had a crack or line coming from the chip then I would say definitely no.

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
That being said I would try to beat them up a little on price. 1/2 price on a used tank is pretty much full retail in my opinion. I am pretty sure I couldn’t get 1/2 price out of any of mine and the oldest is 2 years in May.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That being said I would try to beat them up a little on price. 1/2 price on a used tank is pretty much full retail in my opinion. I am pretty sure I couldn’t get 1/2 price out of any of mine and the oldest is 2 years in May.
Glass ain't worth much, lol. I've given away old acrylic and glass tanks to not have to fight and still had flakes when it came to pickup.

OP
OP
Zeromus-X

Zeromus-X

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spoke with them and it’d end up being about 1/3 of a new one and includes a custom-made mesh top. I think I’m willing to give it a shot for that price. Fingers crossed.

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spoke with them and it’d end up being about 1/3 of a new one and includes a custom-made mesh top. I think I’m willing to give it a shot for that price. Fingers crossed.
You could use windshield repair kit to prevent spreading.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Start a build thread and set up a lottery with the winner guessing the closest fail date.

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Windshield repair is just super glue injected in the crack. It won’t fill a chip like this.
Then a repair kit for granite and quartz which is a thicker version and UV light cured. Works great for stone and quartz repair.

OP
OP
Zeromus-X

Zeromus-X

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone. Got a few more days to sleep on it or decide to go with the Marine 110 (new) instead for a few hundred more. The extra water space would be nice.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 34 30.4%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 28 25.0%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 22.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 24 21.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back