Glass Lid

JAMSOURY

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Anyone running a glass lid on top of their aquarium?

Just as long as I have some type of air stone, it should be pretty good as far as oxygen/ph right?

just experimenting as a little project.

Marsh980

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone running a glass lid on top of their aquarium?

Just as long as I have some type of air stone, it should be pretty good as far as oxygen/ph right?

just experimenting as a little project.

I have sliding glass lids over my 200 gallon.

I don’t use air stones. Use power heads. I have four, two I use to break the water surface.

D267A151-AD08-452B-86AC-CD48F2208A70.jpeg

Johniejumbo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to use glass lids and didn’t have any functional problem with them. They were a pain to keep clean though and if they get a little dirty they diminish the amount of light that gets through. As far as the air stone. I had a small protein skimmer that did all the oxygenating

carmodpg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny, I was just looking into recent posts about glass lids this morning! Odd timing! I have a glass lid over my 120 (with center brace). As Marsh said, I just have my power heads and return pump. No need for an air stone. Everything is fine, I like how it cuts down condensation and I have never seen an issue with gas exchange.

Marsh980

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to use glass lids and didn’t have any functional problem with them. They were a pain to keep clean though and if they get a little dirty they diminish the amount of light that gets through. As far as the air stone. I had a small protein skimmer that did all the oxygenating

I agree, cleaning them can be a pain but in regards to the lights, that depends on the quality of the LEDs.

I chose glass lids more because I wanted a pelmet so the tank looked like a framed piece of artwork and I hate to lose fish due to jumpers, plus I didn’t want the hassle of having to keep topping up with RODI, even though I have an ATO. oh lastly, my mate has a large topless tank and he suffers with condensation in his room and windows.

I guess its all down to personal preference. Just like sand bed or bare bottom, both have pros and cons.

bolo1904

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how often do you guys have to clean your glass tops?
I think i'm going to have to resort to a glass top. I am running a sumpless set up with canisters and HOB Skimmer. The suctions are below the waterline so dust just collects on the surface of the water.

JustPoprocks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every tank I’ve ever owned I’ve had a glass top on....my mom hated the salt creep... I have always left the back 4 inches open. I’ve never had a problem I tilt the glass in the morning and night to return some of the condensation. And clean them bi weekly with hot water and vinegar.

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how often do you guys have to clean your glass tops?
I think i'm going to have to resort to a glass top. I am running a sumpless set up with canisters and HOB Skimmer. The suctions are below the waterline so dust just collects on the surface of the water.
I run a fx4 canister and AquaMaxx 1.5 hob skimmer, I aim a powerhead to the surface for airation, no problems ever, glass top...all my stuff is on the ends of my aquarium, and I had the glass cut to go around the tubing and components, so that I can open and close the lids, keeps moisture in, salt creep can be very damaging if not maintained.

Back