Glass thickness on 75

Lukielight

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I tried drilling my 75 gallon tank and ended up cracking it on the third hole.... called the local glass shops and had them make me a piece with the holes in it. I screwed up when I ordered it. Turns out 1/4" glass measures slightly less than a 1/4" rather than slightly more, and I now own an expensive piece of 1/4" glass that is one size thinner than the rest of my tank. I guess that means the tank is 5/16? Can I get away with that decrease in thickness on a standard 75 gallon rimmed tank or am I asking for trouble?

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it were me, I'd just get the right sized piece of glass. I haven't looked up the specs to see if that would be ok or not (and who knows, it might work), but in the grand scheme of the cost of your setup, I'm a big believer in pulling the bandaid and just "buy once, cry once" so I could sleep well at night.

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whats your opinion on having the glass shortened by a couple inches to get back with the safety factor? Ie a shallower tank.
That's a Marineland 75 gallon, exact same as mine, the trimming is actually part of the supporting structure of the tank, so if you do any damages to the glass, it pretty much toast. My option, if it were mine, would be to get another tank and get the glass company to drill the tank for you. Cost wise, this sucks 100%, but IMO it's the only option.

OP
OP
Lukielight

Lukielight

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I already have the trim off and ready to go back together actually. Removing the trim intact wasn't that bad just took a little time with a putty knife. If you run a safety calc they definitely figure the trim into the calculation.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I already have the trim off and ready to go back together actually. Removing the trim intact wasn't that bad just took a little time with a putty knife. If you run a safety calc they definitely figure the trim into the calculation.
Likely they used 6mm glass not 1/4 while the tank used 1/4.. .. 6mm = .236" but besides the point now..

Biggest trouble is that the rim won't fit correctly..
"Believe" if you eurobrace it it should be fine esp w/ a cross brace..err make it 2 braces..
Tanks built w/ the minimum thickness of glass for a rim apparently, and to be honest if one trusts calculators.. BARELY with that.

Freestanding needs 10mm glass .394"

YMMV..

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm certain there are safety factors added to the calculations when building aquariums. After all, the glass in my aqueon 20 high is thicker than the glass on my unknown brand 55 long.

You could shim the rims so they fit properly. Eurobrace the tank as some have mentioned. Would probably suffice.

That being said, it's really up to you how much you trust your handiwork vs the cost of buying a new tank vs cost of buying correct glass. You could also make the repair with the thinner glass and not fill the tank completely, say use it as a sump, a nice long quarantine tank, sell it off as a reptile enclosure. There are many options.

BestCutter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Likely they used 6mm glass not 1/4 while the tank used 1/4.. .. 6mm = .236" but besides the point now..

Biggest trouble is that the rim won't fit correctly..
"Believe" if you eurobrace it it should be fine esp w/ a cross brace..err make it 2 braces..
Tanks built w/ the minimum thickness of glass for a rim apparently, and to be honest if one trusts calculators.. BARELY with that.

Freestanding needs 10mm glass .394"

YMMV..
6 mm glass general specs, unless otherwise specified, are usually .219"-244". 1/4" is usually .250" to something I don't remember right now.

The glass varies in thickness across the ribbon width when it is made and there's no telling what thickness you will get (between those high & low specs).

Dennis

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 26 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back