Glasscages positive or negative experiences?

John08007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A new larger tank is in my future. I have often gone to gc's website for pricing. I have seen some negative posts about their tanks. Any truth to this? I would like to hear some point of sale or neg experiences people have had with their tanks.

Is there anyone else I should look into for a larger tank, 180g+? I really like the prices offered by glasscages.

U

User1

View Badges
I'm not a fan of your thread title I have to say. Not going to lie. Maybe change it a bit along the lines of upgrading tank looking for feedback on glasscages or something. When I first read it my stupid mind focused on the negative experience bit and not positive. Probably not your fault and just how I'm wired. It is like a passive aggressive negative post but not your intent.

In any case Glass cages I believe has been around a lot longer than 10 years. I recall them building tanks, loading them up in a semi, and running coast to coast and stopping at known locations for customer pick up directly. Saving both a lot of money and bringing standard sized and larger tanks at a reasonable or lower price point. I believe it recently changed owners (possibly) and made a lot of changes focusing on quality. What I mean is that they are building tanks in that semi custom quality level to more people. @Joe Glass Cages can probably provide more specifics on what they are doing.

I've been searching for new tanks and they are one I am considering. Every review I've read so far has been nothing but positive. Images, as good as they can be on the internet and forums, look good. The glass edges are polished. The silicon looks clean. Braced. Everyone said their tank was treated like it was a custom build but at a more manageable entry point if that makes sense.

There are problems with all things human made and what I find is that human nature often doesn't bring people back to say how great everything is but rather post when things go south or they feel slighted. Not sure if this is helping you nor am I trying to sway because I do not own a tank of theirs. I will just say in my interaction so far with them has been positive (questions) and builds on this site using their tanks have all been positive.

Best of luck. I think it doesn't hurt to send a message and ask 5 or 10 questions and see how you feel. Be safe and have an amazing weekend.

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never had one. The president of the local reef club said they make good tanks. From reading reviews, I get the impression that the tanks are perfectly functional, but can be a little off on fit and finish. At their prices, I would not expect an ultra premium result.

I believe that Adam of Battlecorals had them make the frag tanks for his expansion. If you are in production aquaculture, a functional result is just fine.

DaneGer21

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first “custom “ tank was built by them. I had it running almost 10yrs before I upgraded. It was overbuilt, and braced accordingly. I had zero issues. I moved to a larger tank, and sold that. It is still in service, and going on 12+yrs old.

It was a 36”x24”x25”. All 1/2” glass, top and bottom eurobracing. For only a “90gal” it was HEAVY! Silicone job was good to great, but not perfection. I had no complaints with it.

The ONLY reason I didn’t go back to them for my larger 220gal, was not because of issues or quality, but because it was a little more “custom” then they wanted or were able to do. They were honest and I respect that.

I think they have stopped the somewhat “local” drop offs.

Last edited:

Gablami

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not a fan of your thread title I have to say. Not going to lie. Maybe change it a bit along the lines of upgrading tank looking for feedback on glasscages or something. When I first read it my stupid mind focused on the negative experience bit and not positive. Probably not your fault and just how I'm wired. It is like a passive aggressive negative post but not your intent.

In any case Glass cages I believe has been around a lot longer than 10 years. I recall them building tanks, loading them up in a semi, and running coast to coast and stopping at known locations for customer pick up directly. Saving both a lot of money and bringing standard sized and larger tanks at a reasonable or lower price point. I believe it recently changed owners (possibly) and made a lot of changes focusing on quality. What I mean is that they are building tanks in that semi custom quality level to more people. @Joe Glass Cages can probably provide more specifics on what they are doing.

I've been searching for new tanks and they are one I am considering. Every review I've read so far has been nothing but positive. Images, as good as they can be on the internet and forums, look good. The glass edges are polished. The silicon looks clean. Braced. Everyone said their tank was treated like it was a custom build but at a more manageable entry point if that makes sense.

There are problems with all things human made and what I find is that human nature often doesn't bring people back to say how great everything is but rather post when things go south or they feel slighted. Not sure if this is helping you nor am I trying to sway because I do not own a tank of theirs. I will just say in my interaction so far with them has been positive (questions) and builds on this site using their tanks have all been positive.

Best of luck. I think it doesn't hurt to send a message and ask 5 or 10 questions and see how you feel. Be safe and have an amazing weekend.
If you’re concerned about biased responses, you tagging the owner definitely changes the tenor of this thread. Not saying that he wouldn’t have found this thread on his own, but still...

OP
OP
J

John08007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry about the title, didnt mean it to be negative at all. Thanks for the positive input, looks like glasscages will be my choice. To be honest, as long as the silicone holds water is good enough for me. I was just concerned about a seal or panel blowing out with 180g in my living room.

Joe Glass Cages

Passionate Glass Cages’s Team Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there. Yes, there have been some challenging reviews. In October of 2019 there was a major change at Glass Cages. Major. From what I can see, there haven’t been any challenging reviews sense October 2019. If there are, please let me know so I can support those customers. That is so important to us.

Below is an outline of the transition.

During October of 2019 there was a major transformation at Glass Cages.

Glass Cages Transformation:
• Leadership Change
• Quality Assurance with QA Check Points
• Digital Production Tracking
• Improved Customer Service
• CAD drawing and approval processes
• Major Investments in Fabrication Equipment
• Polished Edges are now standard on all builds

We are not stopping with these improvements. Website update coming shortly.

We have some New Options that are not listed on our website yet. Below is a list of the New Options:
• White and Black Trim
• Low-Iron Euro-Bracing
• Tinted Perimeter Euro-Bracing with Low-Iron Cross Braces
• Black Vinyl Backing Options
• Upgraded Black Aquarium Pad
• Printed Vinyl Scene Options (your graphic)
• Starboard Bottoms
• Modern Furniture Options to include Unfinished, White and Black Painted Finished Stands with Slow Stop Hinged Doors
• Fine Furniture Options to include Unfinished, White and Black Painted Finished Stands with Slow Stop Hinged Doors

Please see pictures of these options in the photo albums on our Facebook page. Link below.

Please see our reviews after October 2019 on Facebook, google and Reef2Reef. We have asked our new customers to share the truth. Knowing the truth allows us to reinforce the good and correct our challenges.

Our Facebook has many of our recent builds, customer interaction and reviews.

Please see the links below to several build threads on R2R

and here is a link to our updated warranty

I don’t share all this to sell you on our company. We are hobbyists and are truly excited about this transition. We are excited to offer support that the community so desperately wants. We read and listened to all those challenging reviews and feedback. Didn’t get offended. Nope. We adjusted the company. We are listening and will continue to humbly listen. Glass Cages has been building tanks for over 38 years. Currently building about 150 custom tanks a month and we want to continue to serve the best we possibly can.

Below is a list of Aquarium manufactures. You have many options to explore.
1. Coast 2 Coast
2. Reef Savvy
3. Miracles Aquariums
4. Glass Cages
5. Concept Aquariums
6. Crystal Dynamics
7. Planet Aquariums
8. Advanced Acrylics
9. Midwest Custom Aquarium
10. Fish Tanks Direct
11. Custom Aquariums
12. Acrylic Tank Manufacturing
13. Tank Me USA
14. Crystal Reef Aquatics
15. Aqueon
16. Redsea
17. SCA
18. AGE
19. GEO
20. Elos
21. Exotic Aquariums
22. Waterbox
23. Cade

The best choice is your choice.

We are honored that you are considering Glass Cages and we are here to help you even if you decide to go with another builder. Growing and educating within this hobby is our mission.

I am so excited and proud of our Glass Cages Team. We look forward to hearing from you about how we can serve you and others better now and in the future.

Joe Glass Cages

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you’re concerned about biased responses, you tagging the owner definitely changes the tenor of this thread. Not saying that he wouldn’t have found this thread on his own, but still...
That is true. On the positive side of tagging Glass Cages is that we are humbly listening. Listening for the express purpose to improve our product and customer experience using feedback from those in the hobby. We want to serve the best we can.

Thank you to everyone who constructively shares feedback. Thank you!

F i s h y

2nd In Command. Where is Frank's firebug badge?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My personal experience with Joe at glass cages has been great. I had many questions regarding a custom build. One of them was about the strength of the glass as my gf has a special needs child and I was concerned about something getting thrown into the tank and breaking it. Joe had fun with the question and took a tank with similar dimensions and did a stress test by throwing stuff at it. Tv remotes, shoes, food, many common household items. The bowling ball finally broke the tank :). I appreciated the video of the different tests he sent me.

I have not purchased from @Joe Glass Cages yet. But when my house is done being built, the time and effort he put into personal service will result in him having my business. I am looking forward to proudly having a Glass Cages tank in my house.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
lol i type too slow ;) good luck in your venture ,remember "build thread"

U

User1

View Badges

No idea if they would or would not. Its a feature so why not use it? No different than using the search in the upper right. Maybe the OP didn't know they are present or not seen posts by them. Shouldn't matter and won't change anything other than answer questions if there are any.

DaneGer21

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first “custom “ tank was built by them. I had it running almost 10yrs before I upgraded. It was overbuilt, and braced accordingly. I had zero issues. I moved to a larger tank, and sold that. It is still in service, and going on 12+yrs old.

It was a 36”x24”x25”. All 1/2” glass, top and bottom eurobracing. For only a “90gal” it was HEAVY! Silicone job was good to great, but not perfection. I had no complaints with it.

The ONLY reason I didn’t go back to them for my larger 220gal, was not because of issues or quality, but because it was a little more “custom” then they wanted or were able to do. They were honest and I respect that.

I think they have stopped the somewhat “local” drop offs.

Below is an outline of the transition.

During October of 2019 there was a major transformation at Glass Cages.

Glass Cages Transformation:
• Leadership Change
• Quality Assurance with QA Check Points
• Digital Production Tracking
• Improved Customer Service
• CAD drawing and approval processes
• Major Investments in Fabrication Equipment
• Polished Edges are now standard on all builds

We are not stopping with these improvements. Website update coming shortly.

We have some New Options that are not listed on our website yet. Below is a list of the New Options:
• White and Black Trim
• Low-Iron Euro-Bracing
• Tinted Perimeter Euro-Bracing with Low-Iron Cross Braces
• Black Vinyl Backing Options
• Upgraded Black Aquarium Pad
• Printed Vinyl Scene Options (your graphic)
• Starboard Bottoms
• Modern Furniture Options to include Unfinished, White and Black Painted Finished Stands with Slow Stop Hinged Doors
• Fine Furniture Options to include Unfinished, White and Black Painted Finished Stands with Slow Stop Hinged Doors

With my review above, I will add, when I upgraded to the 220 it was early 2018 and the above options weren’t implemented yet. With now having more options, I would not hesitate to bring my business back if/when for my next upgrade! Great options with great prices!

U

User1

View Badges
Sorry about the title, didnt mean it to be negative at all. Thanks for the positive input, looks like glasscages will be my choice. To be honest, as long as the silicone holds water is good enough for me. I was just concerned about a seal or panel blowing out with 180g in my living room.

On the title side - I brought it up and like I said it is how I'm wired. I honestly do not believe there was anything negative. Maybe I didn't have enough coffee yet and should have just said what I wanted to and tag to get you some answers if you had any. Looking back I think my message was ok but the first part maybe was a bit hot.

Sorry about that.

Joe Glass Cages

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My personal experience with Joe at glass cages has been great. I had many questions regarding a custom build. One of them was about the strength of the glass as my gf has a special needs child and I was concerned about something getting thrown into the tank and breaking it. Joe had fun with the question and took a tank with similar dimensions and did a stress test by throwing stuff at it. Tv remotes, shoes, food, many common household items. The bowling ball finally broke the tank :). I appreciated the video of the different tests he sent me.

I have not purchased from @Joe Glass Cages yet. But when my house is done being built, the time and effort he put into personal service will result in him having my business. I am looking forward to proudly having a Glass Cages tank in my house.
Thanks @Fishy65, glad that video was helpful. The Glass Cages team enjoyed producing it.

Joe Glass Cages

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No idea if they would or would not. Its a feature so why not use it? No different than using the search in the upper right. Maybe the OP didn't know they are present or not seen posts by them. Shouldn't matter and won't change anything other than answer questions if there are any.
thinking more about this.... response bias.....hmmm, I encourage constructive criticism. And I want to hear about it. the good and challenging. If I was the consumer, I would a company that listened to me and adjusted. Thats why we have created this spirit within Glass Cages. We are not perfect and don't claim to be. We do try our absolute best.

OP
OP
J

John08007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to say, before posting this I was apprehensive because I have read some posts about quality. But, my common sense tells me that even with those reviews the company couldn't be that bad since they have been around as long as I remember.

After posting this and seeing the comments, especially from the company I am 100% certain that I will be purchasing from glass cages.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 65 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 36 21.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 35.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.6%
Back