Glasscages positive or negative experiences?

BeltedCoyote

Philosopher king of the Memes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm currently in conversation with Joe about a custom tank. To be honest, I didn't think a custom would be in my price range but I'm so glad I reached out now because it's way more affordable than I ever imagined. I've spent some time on the Glass Cages website and didn't love the stand options shown, so I was pleasantly surprised when Joe presented me with the "modern" style stand with the clean look similar to a WB or RS stand. I encourage anyone thinking about a new tank that believes there's no way they could afford a custom design to reach out to Joe, you may just be surprised, I know I was.

Yeah I reached out to Joe to tentatively get a price quote for my tank and I was pleasantly surprised as well. For both the cost and just the communication itself. I’ve already decided I’m going with glass cages when it comes time to pull the proverbial trigger on a tank.

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Being an hour away from where they make the tanks, we hear about them often. Ive taked to them several times over the years, as i was toying with getting one of their tanks. Almost had my hands on a used glass cages 265 a year and a half ago or so, but the seller dropped it in my yard breaking the bottom panel.... yea that still hurts. That being said, if i was in the market for another tank of any size, considering i can drive and pick it up myself. Im astounded at the changes and quality control now. a couple years ago i was Meh on the tanks, and only would of gotten one if the price was right, or it was a used tank. ( that 7 footer really would of been nice :( ) but now, if im getting a standard square or rimless tank, id go Glass Cages all day.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I reached out to Joe to tentatively get a price quote for my tank and I was pleasantly surprised as well. For both the cost and just the communication itself. I’ve already decided I’m going with glass cages when it comes time to pull the proverbial trigger on a tank.

I didn't yet have the quote on the Modern stand before my post, the tank is less than I thought it would be, but the stand is definitely more than I thought it would be. But given the materials and beautiful design, I'm sure it's a fair price. It just might mean I'll have to build my own, but it won't look nearly as nice as GC's...

BeltedCoyote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't yet have the quote on the Modern stand before my post, the tank is less than I thought it would be, but the stand is definitely more than I thought it would be. But given the materials and beautiful design, I'm sure it's a fair price. It just might mean I'll have to build my own, but it won't look nearly as nice as GC's...

Yeah I’m trying to decide if I trust myself (almost no woodworking experience, let alone welding) to build a stand or not. Wallet says yes. Peace of mind says no lol

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I’m trying to decide if I trust myself (almost no woodworking experience, let alone welding) to build a stand or not. Wallet says yes. Peace of mind says no lol

In the same boat. I mean, I'm sure I could build a stand, but there's just no way I'll be satisfied with it compared to a fully finished purchased stand. Might just have to pony up, I LOVE the clean look of GC's Modern stands (similar to WB).

BeltedCoyote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the same boat. I mean, I'm sure I could build a stand, but there's just no way I'll be satisfied with it compared to a fully finished purchased stand. Might just have to pony up, I LOVE the clean look of GC's Modern stands (similar to WB).

Ooo I’ve heated mention of their new modern line but hadn’t seen an example before now...I see what you mean

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you post a photo of this modern stand design @Joe Glass Cages? Would love to see it.
I am not Joe, but had them saved to show the wife, as she is looking at upgrading her zoa tank and wants a modern stand. @Joe Glass Cages has the right idea on the side doors though, I love that feature.

D6E43788-4B30-4A31-89EB-621324A842CD.jpeg
A764E2AB-DC15-4230-AE0D-AE4C6B112FBF.jpeg
B80AF4EC-6C27-471F-966B-918B78A6A724.jpeg
2AE6AAD6-2A8B-4FC4-9BD9-6D7F547D35CA.jpeg
B834CC73-7BB3-428E-85EE-04D364D7FCF6.jpeg

BeltedCoyote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not Joe, but had them saved to show the wife, as she is looking at upgrading her zoa tank and wants a modern stand. @Joe Glass Cages has the right idea on the side doors though, I love that feature.

D6E43788-4B30-4A31-89EB-621324A842CD.jpeg
A764E2AB-DC15-4230-AE0D-AE4C6B112FBF.jpeg
B80AF4EC-6C27-471F-966B-918B78A6A724.jpeg
2AE6AAD6-2A8B-4FC4-9BD9-6D7F547D35CA.jpeg
B834CC73-7BB3-428E-85EE-04D364D7FCF6.jpeg

the inclusion of side doors on all their stands is a big reason I’m seriously considering just saving up and buying one when I get my tank

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do this: Divide your thoughts into a “Pre-Joe” and “Post-Joe” state of mind when it comes to the ‘older’ Glass Cages reviews...

I did MONTHS of research on nearly any brand tank you can name before finally contacting Joe and speaking to him last week for a generous hour of his time and advice. Now he has a big-fat check of mine to cover two (2) 150-gallon tank/stand combos. I have no doubt that I am going to be thrilled— so feel free to follow my new R2R Build Thread if you want to live vicariously. LOL! Tanks should arrive in about 6 weeks. “Thanks, Joe!”

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Great to hear GC has turned around as they are on the affordable non-price-gauging end of the spectrum as far as custom tank builders are concerned.

Years ago, I looked at GC at a local show and I was unimpressed (severely turned-off) by the sloppy silicone job. I've seen some pictures of some recent builds and I am genuinely impressed by the change. I have to still see a large tank in person to be 100% sold but from what I have seen the change and progress are really great.

Keep it up Joe!

Dr. Reef

www.drreefsquarantinedfish.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
long time customer, over 20 years (almost) 4 custom tanks from them. Yes things have improved from years back and i have been very happy with their tanks and service. Just retired a 240 gal tank from them after using it for 10 years.
Decided to upgrade, only reason i didnt go with them for my 480 gal because i am in business now and not just a hobbyist anymore and i have a place that builds all my custom tanks for quarantinedfish.us business, they really almost gifted me this 480 gal for my personal use. (i just paid for few upgrades)
Anyways Glass cages, great service and prices.

Last edited:

Joe Glass Cages

Passionate Glass Cages’s Team Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Humbling….. this is so humbling. I read through this thread yesterday and was speechless. I truly was. I had to take a private minute to reflect. I am so thankful to you, the Glass Cages Team and my Family.

We started this new journey at Glass Cages about a year ago. Wow, a year. We had a vision and a plan with a ton of passion. We just wanted to serve the best we could. We believed in the team. We empowered the team and the Glass Cages team has done a tremendous job.

Serve as we would want to be served. That is our simple mission.

So when I read this thread, I was so humbled. This Glass Cages transition has been a labor of love and we are not stopping here. We will continue to listen and adjust. Thank you.

Yes, thanks to all of you that have supported, encouraged, took a chance, believed and on and on and on… I sincerely will say this, the Glass Cages team desires to serve you in your journey.

I am sure I will miss someone. Not intended at all! I so don't want to leave anyone out. The support has be tremendous. We are thankful. Big Thanks to everyone!

@John08007, @rwreef, @saf1, @PatW, @DaneGer21, @Gablami, @jcdeboe
@fishguy242, @najer, @JoshH, @Chibils, @sfin52, @bigdrew, @dreamcatcherr9
@naterealbig, @StevePhx, @Cell, @tsouth, @TriggerFinger, @Cwentz758
@BeltedCoyote, @Reef Dude, @Fishy65, @Katrina71, @DaneGer21, @Tiki Reef Joshua
@DanDman, @virtual reality, @vtecintegra, @Jerry Barnes, @ca1ore
@Eye H8 Empty V, @hart24601, @southerntnreefer, @Eagle_Steve
@JumboShrimp, @BZOFIQ, @Weasel1960, @RJKain-777, @dantimdad

THIS IS JUST THE BEGINNING, LET’S ROLE!

Last edited:

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Humbling….. this is so humbling. I read through this thread yesterday and was speechless. I truly was. I had to take a private minute to reflect. I am so thankful to you, the Glass Cages Team and my Family.

We started this new journey at Glass Cages about a year ago. Wow, a year. We had a vision and a plan with a ton of passion. We just wanted to serve the best we could. We believed in the team. We empowered the team and the Glass Cages team has done a tremendous job.

Serve as we would want to be served. That is our simple mission.

So when I read this thread, I was so humbled. This Glass Cages transition has been a labor of love and we are not stopping here. We will continue to listen and adjust. Thank you.

Yes, thanks to all of you that have supported, encouraged, took a chance, believed and on and on and on… I sincerely will say this, the Glass Cages team desires to serve you in your journey.

I am sure I will miss someone. Not intended at all! I so don't want to leave anyone out. The support has be tremendous. We are thankful. Big Thanks to everyone!

@John08007, @rwreef, @saf1, @PatW, @DaneGer21, @Gablami, @jcdeboe
@fishguy242, @najer, @JoshH, @Chibils, @sfin52, @bigdrew, @dreamcatcherr9
@naterealbig, @StevePhx, @Cell, @tsouth, @TriggerFinger, @Cwentz758
@BeltedCoyote, @Reef Dude, @Fishy65, @Katrina71, @DaneGer21, @Tiki Reef Joshua
@DanDman, @virtual reality, @vtecintegra, @Jerry Barnes, @ca1ore
@Eye H8 Empty V, @hart24601, @southerntnreefer, @Eagle_Steve
@JumboShrimp, @BZOFIQ, @Weasel1960, @RJKain-777, @dantimdad

THIS IS JUST THE BEGINNING, LET’S ROLE!
WAY TO GO..JOE :cool:

Breadman03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm here looking at the costs I'll incur by redoing a 220 that was given to me. It's not the cost of a new tank, but that glass 240 isn't looking like a bad option. Hey @Joe Glass Cages, I might be reaching out with a few questions.

Breadman03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find myself on their website at least once a week that 8 foot 240 has been calling my name for years....can't until we move someday and have no basement.

I used a few jack posts in my basement to ensure weight isn’t an issue.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 76 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 69 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back