Glassy fibers on firefish

Ghost25

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just noticed some fine transparent fibers on my firefish. They look like the pieces of fiberglass that shed off insulation. They seem to be attached to the body. He seems fine, behavior is normal. I've never heard of anything like this.

1111211626a.jpg
1111211626b.jpg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tough to see, but it sounds like these are bristles broken off in the skin from a run in with a bristleworm. This always seems to heal on their own…
Jay

Vyper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i was going to say the same. I lost a scooter blenny to bristle worms. Got a bristle stuck in his gill and stopped eating. Couldn’t see until it was to late.

OP
OP
Ghost25

Ghost25

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That makes sense. I have a couple large fireworms that hide in the rock. Now I have a another reason to remove them.

Vyper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That makes sense. I have a couple large fireworms that hide in the rock. Now I have a another reason to remove them.
Ummmm…. I think fireworms are a concern. I believe they will kill fish. Someone correct me if I’m wrong. Bristle worms are much less of a problem

OP
OP
Ghost25

Ghost25

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ummmm…. I think fireworms are a concern. I believe they will kill fish. Someone correct me if I’m wrong. Bristle worms are much less of a problem
I've had them a while and they've never killed a fish. I caught one a while back munching on a zoa and removed it, but I haven't had any do that since. I think I've been feeding enough they don't bother anymore.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A bearded fireworm (which are still a type of bristleworm) are undesirable in a tank. A regular bristleworm is a good member of a CUC, although there are still people who hate them and try to keep them put of their tanks.
Fireworms generally are not a threat to fish, it's usually corals that they are more an issue for.

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my understanding as well. I'm following this to see what others say. I thought it was recommended that fireworms be removed right away.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 18 29.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 51 83.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.9%
Back