GLB's 12g nano

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never posted a thread for my tank before so here we go! More details to come and thanks for following!
ImageUploadedByReef2Reef Aquarium Forum1378591895.015633.jpg

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone! Here's the history. I started it four years ago as fowlr. I studied about corals and became comfortable with the additional testing before adding any. Five months ago, I started with zoas and gradually added gsp,s, Florida ricordea and acan lords. I've lost a few zoa colonies along the way and never figured out why. I think I might have changed too many things in my filter at once. Right now, I'm using sponges, purigen and denitrate in my sump and compact fluorescent bulbs, 75% actinic blue and 25% 10000k white. I clean the filter media and change 10% of the water weekly. More

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice and healthy. Are you going to add any other coral?

I plan on adding more softies and lps. Right now I'm still trying to figure out why I lost those zoa colonies. I think I'll add more acans, as they seem to be growing the most. I also plan on changing to LEDs in the next several months.

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have a skimmer because most of the advice I've gotten is that I don't need one if I stay on top of water changes.

My tank numbers are usually:

Specific gravity: 1.026
Ph: 7.8-8.1 over the course of a day
Nitrates: 5-15, usually 10
Phosphates: 0
Alk: 9kh
Mg: 1200 (I have a hard time keeping this one high enough-still tinkering with how much to add
Calcium: 420-450
Temp: 78

The corals look good but the zoas and gsp's aren't growing much. The acan lords and Florida ricordea are growing much more quickly. I have two clownfish that try to host with the zoas! For cuc's, I have two emerald crabs, about 8 little hermits, 3-4 snails and two peppermint shrimp. I also have one bristleworm that I know of.

fernb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice looking tank. I have had some zoas close up on me for no apparent reason but if I patiently wait they will reopen sometimes days or even weeks later.
For example, my first zoa frag I purchased was a small one polyp of Sunny D, that was on April 20th. It slowly opened over the next few weeks and then developed a baby polyp in early July. Right after that the original polyp closed up and started shrinking and I was at a loss for a reason. the baby kept on getting bigger and opened every day and was bigger than the original polyp. Last week the original polyp showed signs that it was starting to open again. now it will open completely but is a quarter of it's original size. I am totally baffled.

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice looking tank. I have had some zoas close up on me for no apparent reason but if I patiently wait they will reopen sometimes days or even weeks later.
For example, my first zoa frag I purchased was a small one polyp of Sunny D, that was on April 20th. It slowly opened over the next few weeks and then developed a baby polyp in early July. Right after that the original polyp closed up and started shrinking and I was at a loss for a reason. the baby kept on getting bigger and opened every day and was bigger than the original polyp. Last week the original polyp showed signs that it was starting to open again. now it will open completely but is a quarter of it's original size. I am totally baffled.

Tell me about it. One of my colonies seems to be coming back but it's crazy when you can't figure out what happened.

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today's post: How can I improve my numbers? I'm mainly concerned with decreasing nitrates and slightly raising ph. A skimmer with a co2 scrubber? Vodka dosing? I'd be interested in your thoughts. I know I'll be told to take out the sponges, but what should I use in their place? I clean them every week. I'll take all the advice I can get.

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update. My zoas aren't really growing. Most of them look fine but lots of people say they grow like weeds. Not mine. Lol. I'm currently using compact fluorescent lights until I can upgrade to LEDs. Could this be the reason?

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 50 25.3%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 50 25.3%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 46 23.2%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 48 24.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back