0   0   0
1,2,3 are all tue

I think it's woow
It is a high end coral
Yes it's living on the edge....

This was the color 6 months ago

Which one do you prefer?
2eeb6d5e16548d5811ff9944e5c2f914.jpg
I like them both, but the yellow is more unique looking, so that would be my preference. What are you doing to modulate it’s coloring like that?

OP
OP
glennf

glennf

DSR Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like them both, but the yellow is more unique looking, so that would be my preference. What are you doing to modulate it’s coloring like that?
The yellow color is a coral which lack nutrients.
Both PO4 and NO3 are to low.
Due to the high density of coral this one don't get enough to maintain it's healthy colors. It's starving.
Have you seen "chasing coral"? Than you see what wonderfull colors the coral get "just before they are dying".

Last edited:

rushbattle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The yellow color is a coral which lack nutrients.
Both PO4 and NO3 are to low.
Due to the high density of coral this one don't get enough to maintain it's healthy colors. It's starving.
Have you seen "chasing coral"? Than you see what wonderfull colors the coral get "just before they dying".
Well I wish I had your colorful coral problem. I have 5ppm NO3 and 0.06ppm PO4 and my SPS are still ticked with me for some reason. I'd take colorful and ticked in lieu of bleached AND brown and ticked!

OP
OP
glennf

glennf

DSR Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I wish I had your colorful coral problem. I have 5ppm NO3 and 0.06ppm PO4 and my SPS are still ****** with me for some reason. I'd take colorful and ****** in lieu of bleached AND brown and ******!
What coral are going bad with you?
Realize that:
Mastering waterquality is 40% result
Mastering lighting is another 40%
To keep Acropora's happy, you need at least 80%
To adres color issues, you need to find 10% more. which come down to develop skills by experience.

Last edited:

rushbattle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What coral are going bad with you?
Realize tha:
Mastering waterquality is 40% result
Mastering lighting is another 40%
To keep Acropora's happy you need at least 80%
To adres color issues, you need to find 10% more. which come down to develop skills by experience.
Glenn,

It was bothering me that my Acropora are not doing all that well. Everything else(montipora, stylophora, euphyillia, acans, etc.) are doing well. Parameters were all tested today ala DSR. Everything was perfect per your calculator except Ca at 380ppm. Bringing it up to 440ppm over the next two days. dKH is stable at 8.0 for months now. Dosing Fe citrate, MnSO4, KI, MgCl, SrCl, KCl, CaOH and NaNO3, plus good quality frozen food every day. I think my problem might be no fish in coral QT/holding waiting for my new setups to be delivered.

rushbattle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep Ca stable and give yourself and the system some time get to know eachother.
What lighting are you using?
How do the degradation of the acro's look like?
The system has been running for 6 months, but using the same live rock after a move across the country so there was some die off. So it’s pretty stable in terms of testable water parameters. I have to test much more frequently than you recommend because alkalinity drifts faster than that. I’ve been able to keep it around 8.0KH in spite of that though. You caught me on the light! It’s LED but high coverage over the tank, not much shadowing at all. The long term tanks will be 50% T5 / 50%LED though. The acros look browned out but bleached pretty light and little polyp extension. It’s a bummer. Some are doing ok, but a few look pretty bad. My parameters are all solid and stable, close to natural seawater even, once Ca gets raised up.

Last edited:
OP
OP
glennf

glennf

DSR Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The system has been running for 6 months, but using the same live rock after a move across the country so there was some die off. So it’s pretty stable in terms of testable water parameters. I have to test much more frequently than you recommend because alkalinity drifts faster than that. I’ve been able to keep it around 8.0KH in spite of that though. You caught me on the light! It’s LED but high coverage over the tank, not much shadowing at all. The long term tanks will be 50% T5 / 50%LED though. The acros look browned out but bleached pretty light and little polyp extension. It’s a bummer. Some are doing ok, but a few look pretty bad. My parameters are all solid and stable, close to natural seawater even, once Ca gets raised up.
Led is the lighting for the future.
Most corals do well... except many...many acropora species.
Most led unit extensive possibilitie to dail in the colors... there is where it all goes south.
Many cheap leds just aren't up to the task(yet) to grow acropora's.

To be save i i would start with a proven concept like T5 combined with 40% leds.
Be carefull with white leds most reefers fry their corals with that.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.9%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.3%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 172 67.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back