Glossy finish for DIY stand

dbleoh7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a woodworking newbie and I am building a stand with the base made of 1 x 4s and covered in Birch plywood from Home Depot (I think it's sanded already). I'm wanting to put a semi glossy white finish on it and it needs to be water resistant.... I don't mind doing a lot of steps I just want it to look nice. Anyone know the best way of going about that? I would prefer to use spray cans if that's possible but I also have a cheap paint sprayer from Harbor Freight but not sure it will even work... I would prefer to not use a brush because in my experience it leaves the paintbrush lines.

LosReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a woodworking newbie and I am building a stand with the base made of 1 x 4s and covered in Birch plywood from Home Depot (I think it's sanded already). I'm wanting to put a semi glossy white finish on it and it needs to be water resistant.... I don't mind doing a lot of steps I just want it to look nice. Anyone know the best way of going about that? I would prefer to use spray cans if that's possible but I also have a cheap paint sprayer from Harbor Freight but not sure it will even work... I would prefer to not use a brush because in my experience it leaves the paintbrush lines.
Have you thought about epoxy resin? There are a ton of videos on tabletop epoxy designs if you wanted something different. I recovered my doors. You can paint and the resin will make it glossy with a clear coat if you don't go crazy like I did. You can epoxy over a printed picture also.

20200928_183259.jpg 20200406_221829.jpg

OP
OP
dbleoh7

dbleoh7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you thought about epoxy resin? There are a ton of videos on tabletop epoxy designs if you wanted something different. I recovered my doors. You can paint and the resin will make it glossy with a clear coat if you don't go crazy like I did. You can epoxy over a printed picture also.

20200928_183259.jpg 20200406_221829.jpg
I honestly know very little about paint so I would consider whatever gives me a glossy or semi glossy finish that will hold up well.

ScottJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look for Rustoleum Professional High Performance Enamel spray paint. It's in a silver label can. I get it at Home Depot. Put on a few, 3 or 4, and it's pretty much impervious to water. I used it on the plywood top of a stand I built foe my nano tank. Works really well and looks nice too!

To apply, just give the wood a light sanding with 150 grit paper ,wipe itdown good, and spray. No primer needed.

Velcro

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you want glossy, not semi glossy. You said that you are new at woodworking. Just know that any imperfection in the build of the stand is amplified by shiny paint. Be ready to make a lot of practice cuts/fits and a LOT of sanding. Other than that, you're going to want to go with a glossy white paint and probably some coats of clear.

LosReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The epoxy will show all blemishes if you use a clear coat over paint. Sand, prime and then paint would be best. Here are a couple videos.

OP
OP
dbleoh7

dbleoh7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look for Rustoleum Professional High Performance Enamel spray paint. It's in a silver label can. I get it at Home Depot. Put on a few, 3 or 4, and it's pretty much impervious to water. I used it on the plywood top of a stand I built foe my nano tank. Works really well and looks nice too!

To apply, just give the wood a light sanding with 150 grit paper ,wipe itdown good, and spray. No primer needed.
I like this idea a lot! I would just sand the wood before applying the first layer or would I sand in between layers lightly? Is it professional looking?

DaddyFish

“5 percenter”
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fill, sand, prime, sand, fill, sand, prime sand, paint/clearcoat. There's no shortcuts to a quality GLOSS finish. Gloss shows everything. If you can feel it with your fingers, you will see it in the finish.

I'm a big believer in multiple thin coats of old-fashioned polyurethane brushed onto every surface and into every joint and edge of a wood aquarium stand. After that, a good sanding with 220-grit and then start priming/sanding/painting. Eventually every tank stand becomes a temporary bathtub or floor mop. Don't let a leak or spill ruin your work. Take the time to make it waterproof, not just water resistant.

You can buy epoxy paints at big box stores for more durability of the finish. But the gloss is typically mediocre at best. A good epoxy finish requires the use of a true 2-part mixture with a limited pot life once it's mixed. You will not get that in any rattle can spray bomb.

OP
OP
dbleoh7

dbleoh7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you want glossy, not semi glossy. You said that you are new at woodworking. Just know that any imperfection in the build of the stand is amplified by shiny paint. Be ready to make a lot of practice cuts/fits and a LOT of sanding. Other than that, you're going to want to go with a glossy white paint and probably some coats of clear.
I meant semi-glossy sorry. Like shiny but not plastic-y. I've already finished most of the stand and had to redo my fair share of things already. Been a little frustrating haha

Last edited:

Darren in Tacoma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the 2 part catalyzed polyurethanes are the best finish. Water resistant, durable and very flat and glossy.

ScottJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like this idea a lot! I would just sand the wood before applying the first layer or would I sand in between layers lightly? Is it professional looking?
No need to sand between coats.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 7.9%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 154 67.2%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back