Go A Little Higher Or Not? (Aquascaping)

64Ivy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May-'12-Reeftank.jpg

Thinking of adding a little more height to the right side (technically, the left one third of the right side...if that makes any sense). I'm only talking about going a few inches higher than the other bommie as I'm a fan of the low profile look overall. What say you? Questions and comments welcomed, of course.

MyReefToYours

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I like a high wall so taking it up on one side would be to my liking but it is looking good thus far.

REEFKEEPER10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's funny. When I talk about bommies know one knows what I'm talking about. I have a few questions though. What type of lighting you using. What type of corals you plan on having. Do you think you have enough power heads. Lol

dmatt88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I would. It looks nice now though.

....... I'm Matt n i have a reef obsession.

toejam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldnt, lots of room for coral growth. There is also more water for swimming with lots of water movement without rocks slowing it down. Looks nice.

wysiwyg

marine predator man
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im a fan of high walls but it looks nice know but in the end its your tank and your taste/style. if it were my tank i would add a few pieces though

KSzegi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great now but I think I would add a few inches so the heights of the two bommies are more asymmetrical.

Chameleon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
whats a bommie? anyway a little more height on the right side left 1/3...lol...i think would look nice. looks nice as is as well. imo I would put 3 powerheads on each overflow though. That may help with a cleaner look and you could have one side altenate on and off with the other for variable thought. nice tank! looking forward to seeing coral growth
-Cham

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I say one more nice rock in the right spot and it's perfect.

OP
OP

64Ivy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's funny. When I talk about bommies know one knows what I'm talking about. I have a few questions though. What type of lighting you using. What type of corals you plan on having. Do you think you have enough power heads. Lol

Despite the Duncan, Favia, Symphilla, and so forth, my plan is to make this primarily an SPS tank. This is what it was before the crash. The lighting is 6x 400W MHs and the flow...well, those who saw it would attest to the results it brought about [*sob*]. Right now I have all the powerheads turned down to less than 40% though.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you plan on doing some sps colonies then I wouldn't. :)

REEFKEEPER10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I would let the sps make the reef for you. It looks more natural. Isn't that the point of bommies. And you have plenty of light to get down to them while the are growing. I can't wait to see this tank full, it will be sweet.

Steelerfan747

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would but I like higher structures as well. It adds hiding spaces which allows for more fish but if you are planning on stocking sps.i would not go too much higher than half way but at least half way. Just my taste. Good luck and God bless

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 27 26.5%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 36 35.3%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 17 16.7%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 19 18.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back