Go Barefoot! (No More Filter Socks)

Rovert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another iteration of idea for those of you have 'standard' 4" mounts in your sump (CADE, Waterbox, etc.) who are tired of washing out filter socks and the expense of replacing them at roughly $10 each, here's an alternative.

Just get yourself a handful of plastic Dixie 'SOLO' drinking cups. Using a soldering iron, clean the tip off carefully with some sand paper (to remove any residual metals and/or contaminants) and melt a series of holes at the bottom of the cup. How many and how high up in the cup you go with the holes depends on your flow rate and how many mounts you have in your sump. You might need to experiment a bit, but this pattern worked for me.
20220721_073608.jpg
When done, cut squares (or rounds if you prefer) of cheapo filter floss material, stuff it into the bottom of each cup to cover the holes you've made, and voilà! No more filter socks. Another benefit is that you can also use these as 'media baskets' and drop in some carbon, phosphate reducer, or other remediation as needed.

20220721_073357.jpg 20220721_073516.jpg 20220721_073315.jpg

20220721_073407.jpg 20220721_073435.jpg 20220721_090047.jpg

If you decide to go this route, I'd suggest you make two sets so that you can pull the dirty set, and immediately replace it with a clean set, dispose of the floss, and rinse out the cups making them ready for the next rotation.

Disclaimer: Use this idea and the equipment at your own risk. Don't bother calling the lawyer who sued McDonald's about the coffee incident, if you burn off your own body parts, I will not be held responsible.

OP
OP
Rovert

Rovert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol the disclaimer. :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing: . And this actually makes a lot of sense but I’d be worried it will only catch big particles as it’s not a tight fitting filter.
Yeah, but you can also just lay in some fine filtration at the very bottom, so the floss captures the big stuff and the 'felt' gets the little stuff. Even the socks only do so much to remove fine particles.

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is essentially like a home made filter cartridge from an old school HOB filter. As long as the fitting is good it should work as intended. Albeit not as efficient as a designed filter sock, it serves the same purpose. Keep us posted and let us know how it goes.

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yeah, but you can also just lay in some fine filtration at the very bottom, so the floss captures the big stuff and the 'felt' gets the little stuff. Even the socks only do so much to remove fine particles.
Oh true! This is also similar to a lobster tank filtration system.

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0

radfly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or you can just get a sturdy version without re-inventing the wheel

But... you save $12 plus shipping

OP
OP
Rovert

Rovert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or you can just get a sturdy version without re-inventing the wheel

So, what you're saying is that $48 dollars is better than $.48 cents? ;)

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
So, what you're saying is that $48 dollars is better than $.48 cents? ;)

No, that is not what I am saying.

What I am saying is that I found the solution to be flimsy and I dislike flimsy things. I've held SOLO cups in my hands plenty of times are they are flimsy and disposable.

If you're reefing on a budget and you like the temporary approach these will certainly do. I posted the other option as an alternative for those looking for something more permanent.

The choice in the end is ultimately all yours.

OP
OP
Rovert

Rovert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flimsy, yes. That's why I prefer something more substantial for my beer and scotch. But it's a quick fix that costs little to nothing and is easily reproduced if one gets damaged. Actually, the idea was inspired by a YouTube video of a fella using plastic planting pots. Unfortunately I can't find such sized pots locally. My other alternative was to CAD and 3D print my own, but this seemed faster and easier. ;-)

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Flimsy, yes. That's why I prefer something more substantial for my beer and scotch. But it's a quick fix that costs little to nothing and is easily reproduced if one gets damaged. Actually, the idea was inspired by a YouTube video of a fella using plastic planting pots. Unfortunately I can't find such sized pots locally. My other alternative was to CAD and 3D print my own, but this seemed faster and easier. ;-)

There are certainly uses for it in a pinch.

radfly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try using poly batting, the stuff woven in blankets, find it at a hobby store. A 1/4 inch pad of it will filter like crazy, and is less messy than floss. Just have to change it often cause it catches so much stufff.

OP
OP
Rovert

Rovert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're reefing on a budget and you like the temporary approach these will certainly do. I posted the other option as an alternative for those looking for something more permanent.

The choice in the end is ultimately all yours.
Just to make a follow-up point, those looking in the DIY section are doing so to find more affordable options. If they wanted "something more permanent" they wouldn't be scouring this section looking for alternatives to $12 each filter containers.

OP
OP
Rovert

Rovert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try using poly batting, the stuff woven in blankets, find it at a hobby store. A 1/4 inch pad of it will filter like crazy, and is less messy than floss. Just have to change it often cause it catches so much stufff.
Yup. See one of my photos. Yes, the floss can be unruly. The 'woven' stuff works for me!

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 5 12.8%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 8 20.5%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 24 61.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 5.1%
Back