Gobies for a 180g Mixed Reef

BlueWorldJeff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just lost my Mandarin Dragonet and am looking for another sand-dweller with some cool mannerisms.

I used to have a diamond watchman goby, but it jumped out of the temp tank when I was moving houses. I've tried other diamond watchman's in my old 120g, but they would always disappear and then never reappear.

I have upgraded to a 180g now and want to give gobies another try ONLY if I am set up correctly for them.

Current livestock:
-Dejardini Sailfin Tang
-Blonde Naso Tang
-Yellow Eye Kole Tang
-Flame Angel
-Checkerboard Wrasse
-Leopard Wrasse
-Black & White Ocellaris Clownfish x 2
-Blue Chromis x 2
-Serpent Star x 2
-Sand Sifting Star x 2
-Cleaner Shrimp x 1
-Trochus Snails

I have a 1.5" deep sand bed of seaflor special grade that I wont be vacuuming anymore.

I would like to get another sand sifter, my wife loved their behavior and how friendly they were

If possible, I'd also like to include a shrimp/goby combo, only if they would get along with sand sifters and my other inhabitants. I know there are optimal goby/shrimp pairings, so I would like to stick by that logic if possible

Is a 180g large enough for multiple gobies?

What are the best gobies out there?

Oscar47f

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have like 4 gobies in my 120 so i believe yours will be big enough, i have the yellow watchman gobies but i personally like the yasha goby and shrimp combo.. Im a big fan of the clown gobies as well... and a pink spot might be a nice one instead of the orange spot diamond goby

OP
OP
BlueWorldJeff

BlueWorldJeff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was looking at the yellow watchman goby. Is that sand sifter as well as a shrimp goby? Is there a specific shrimp that it works best with?

MamaLovesHerReefTank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have 2 orange spot diamond gobies. These guys are quite fun to watch especially if a hermit crab gets in the way. They will pick it up and relocate it, then go back to what they were doing. I never have to vacuum my sand bed as they are constantly cleaning it. They sleep together and do their sifting together. Best purchase we've made in my opinion.

20161106_192151.jpg

OP
OP
BlueWorldJeff

BlueWorldJeff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have 2 orange spot diamond gobies. These guys are quite fun to watch especially if a hermit crab gets in the way. They will pick it up and relocate it, then go back to what they were doing. I never have to vacuum my sand bed as they are constantly cleaning it. They sleep together and do their sifting together. Best purchase we've made in my opinion.

20161106_192151.jpg
A good looking pair indeed. Mated pair?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 swimming together and making burrows together are a pr.

In a 180g quite a few gobies will work together.

One or 2 prs of sifting gobies, a few watchman gobies. A colony of watchman gobies.

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a 65 gallon tank with two watchmen (a yellow and a grey that I'd hoped would pair up.... they didn't.) and a hi-fin red-banded, as well as a firefish and zebra dart. Conflicts are minimal.

You've got plenty of space for gobies!

~Bruce

Oscar47f

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no yellow watchman gobies don't do much sand sifting and I've heard pistol shrimp varieties work well....

Dallaswinefan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
https://gfycat.com/UnrulyUnhealthyLark

I just got two Diamond Gobies and LOVE them. However, they moved a ton of sand over the first day or so and actually buried some of my palys. Question for those who have had these for a while: Do they eventually pick an area and settle down or do they continually move sand all over? If it's the latter, how can I protect my palys and zoas from getting buried? (I don't mean they had a little sand on them, I mean straight up buried).

ps: I couldn't believe it when, after one had dug a burrow and a hermit ventured too close, he grabbed the hermit in his mouth and tossed it like a bouncer throwing a drunk out of a bar. ******!

Last edited:

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They will continue to bury stuff on the sand. The only way they won't get buried is to put them on the rockwork.

biomek

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
diamonds are relentless with sand sifting to the point of annoyance if you let it get to you. that being said, they are a blast to watch. Currently have a banded goby in my 225g and love him. he's not near the character that the diamond was but a really cool fish. doesn't sift to the extremes that the diamonds do but he's always working the sand just nowhere near the chaos that lol.

BoomCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an algae blenny that digs forever and buries everything. I have a yellow watchman that I see maybe once a month.

I want a goby for my 180 that won't bury everything but will be visible in my tank. So I'm following along in this thread. Diamond goby sounds awesome but not if he's going to bury everything lol.

Would also love one that might pair with one of my pistol shrimp.

Last edited:

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Though they're small in a 180, I've found cleaner gobies to be sit-out-front types. They've got bright colors, charming movements, and an appetite for scratching other fish's itches.

A bonded pair would double the (admittedly tiny) impact!

~Bruce

Adam113

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a diamond goby in my 29g that is an absolute joy. Love watching him. He attacks the syringe when I feed frozen food too, so thankfully he shouldn't starve! He keeps my sand nice looking too :) he has two houses. One underneath each front corner rocks.

He protects those homes like his life depends on it too... here he is tossing a hermit out.
16cc36aeba4364d0ab6635588cd1dd24.png

Dallaswinefan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's remarkable that you got that on film! Well, I love my gobies so I guess I'm going to have to elevate my palys. I hope they don't start burying everything on the sand! I guess I can elevate my acans and ricordeas too, but sheesh!

Adam113

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's remarkable that you got that on film! Well, I love my gobies so I guess I'm going to have to elevate my palys. I hope they don't start burying everything on the sand! I guess I can elevate my acans and ricordeas too, but sheesh!

Mine actually doesn't bury anything. Just tosses the sand around where his little burrows are.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 43.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 22.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 31.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back