Goby Acting Strange. Sick? Hurt? HELP

SexyKillerWhale

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, my diamond goby has been reclusive the past week and had been acting strange at feeding time (in video). Was hoping someone could give me some insight. Is this guy ok? Can I do something to help him? Thank you in advance!

OP
OP
S

SexyKillerWhale

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im thinking it might be some brain swelling or infection? I had an outbreak of red cyanobacteria last week which I cleaned up with chemiclean, but everyone/everything else in the tank seems to be ok...:(

OP
OP
S

SexyKillerWhale

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone had their fish act like this? He just had another "moment" - its sad to watch :(

OP
OP
S

SexyKillerWhale

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First time R2R has been answerless - I hope this guy pulls through! I will keep this thread updated!

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will try keep bumping it for you.
Im new here but i think ive read somewhere this site has some guys/ gals who part of reef squad and can #reefsquad to get there attention,and when they come online they will see and hopefully answer you.ovbiously they don't know all but each one knows alot about a certain subject so to speak

Smirkish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you feeding? My LFS owner told me that most sand sifters starve to death slowly because they are often left to scavenge. Mine voraciously eats when I feed the tank. It is alllllways hungry. Also would be good to know how long you have had it as well. What kind of sand is in the tank?

Last edited:

Smirkish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree. They need fine particle sand and I’m wondering if it’s possible it has a large piece of substrate in its throat.

Edit: I have my glasses on and watched again. The sand is too large- the bigger chunks specifically. I believe it may have damaged its gills (seems doubtful it would have survived this long with something lodged).

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

SexyKillerWhale

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you feeding? My LFS owner told me that most sand sifters starve to death slowly because they are often left to scavenge. Mine voraciously eats when I feed the tank. It is alllllways hungry. Also would be good to know how long you have had it as well. What kind of sand is in the tank?
I'm feeding pellets and mysis and then they also get the occasional oysterfeast - I've had him for 4 months - The sand is a mix of black hawaiin and standard white

OP
OP
S

SexyKillerWhale

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree. They need fine particle sand and I’m wondering if it’s possible it has a large piece of substrate in its throat.

Edit: I have my glasses on and watched again. The sand is too large- the bigger chunks specifically. I believe it may have damaged its gills (seems doubtful it would have survived this long with something lodged).
It's weird because he never had an issue previously and he only does it at feeding time - the rest of the day he's out and about sifting - that being said, he is much more reclusive lately...

Smirkish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
0.5-1.7 mm sand is what is recommended for sand sifters. You could probably safely go up to 2.0 mm. Black Hawaiian sand has some grains that range in size up to 3.5mm, which are the larger pieces mostly on the top of your substrate. The larger grain sand usually ends up settling on top of your substrate.

I still believe it is most likely caused by gill damage, based on what I see. (Their gills can heal, btw) It doesn’t appear to be eating either in your video. If you can take some closer still photos of the goby it may help too. If it is only doing it strictly at feeding times, though, maybe he just is doing a happy dance before eating and you don’t actually have anything to worry about? Keep us updated and you’re doing a good job monitoring the situation it sounds like!

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 66 37.3%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.1%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 27 15.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back