Goby and Pistol Feeding

Ksull72487

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this is my first pair. Feeding I’m still working on. I’m a light feeder. Every 3 days. But I drop a lot of Pellets in. And live or frozen day of water change which is weekly.

Now we all know how our bottom dwelling friends can be. They won’t compete for the pellets.

So here is my method. Return Pump off. Circulation on. The clowns eat the goby comes out. They get full and unintrested the rest floats for ever than sinks for the goby and pistol.

Something interesting happened today. My clowns picked at the food on surface and actually forced it to sink early their by feeding my goby. It was hilarious . Like he basically got right underneath them.

Now I think my goby may become more aggressive for food since he knows it’s on the surface when it’s time. I’m hoping the pistol shrimp just scavenges the rest or the goby feeds him.

The concern. I’m adding nutrients to sit in the rock by doing it this way and it’s not a guarantee they are getting what they need. My next option would be target feeding with my coral forceps. Putting the pellets right at their hole. But I made need the circulation pump off for awhile. This way I’m not over feeding the tank.

What would you suggest. It’s easy for a Goby to go malnourished. And since this is a newer tank I need to make sure my goby and pistol eat properly. Do you suggest I keep doing what I’m doing and let them figure it out? Or target feed.

It’s a Fluval Evo 13.5. Which is why I want to get some opinions. They all gotta eat but I can’t be leaving left overs due to the size.

jrill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I target feed my goby and pistol shrimp. With pumps off I throw sinking pellets down onto the water above their cave so it sinks down to them. They eat well.
For frozen food I have a 1/4" feeding tube and eject the food over them.

Biglew11

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed frozen 3 days a week return pump on low. Circulation pumps turned up pretty high blows food pretty aggressively around the tank. All fish go nuts chasing the food including my orange stripe gobie, but closer to his home.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 16 18.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back