Goby Ich and Treatment

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks BigG.

So I should avoid adding anymore fish until I get past this right?
It will take time to kill off the parasites as they go through their phases. It's important to know that even though you don't see any spots on your clowns they have already been attacked. The spots you ultimately see are from the wounds and the subsequent mucous that builds on the wound after the parasite has dropped off your fish, to start the cycle again, and again, etc. until your fish are dead. IMHO, very carefully read those links Humblefish posted for you.

OP
OP
Rocklin Mike

Rocklin Mike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will take time to kill off the parasites as they go through their phases. It's important to know that even though you don't see any spots on your clowns they have already been attacked. The spots you ultimately see are from the wounds and the subsequent mucous that builds on the wound after the parasite has dropped off your fish, to start the cycle again, and again, etc. until your fish are dead. IMHO, very carefully read those links Humblefish posted for you.
I read them. I won’t add more fish as that seems the obvious answer to the question I have asked. More importantly I have not dipped the clowns as I was busy with the goby. Is this something that should be done as per the procedure from those links?

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It might be too little too late, but for future reference API Fungus Cure also contains acriflavine. I personally prefer acriflavine over formalin since the latter is a carcinogen and harsher on the fish...

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The parasites are in the water and are attacking your clowns. Keep going with the copper. And keep an eye out for secondary infections. Sorry for your loss.

+1 Treat with copper for 30 days

More importantly I have not dipped the clowns as I was busy with the goby. Is this something that should be done as per the procedure from those links?
Are you seeing any white dust/smudges on the clownfish?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The clowns look brand new right now. Swimming around just fine.

Then I would just treat with copper for 30 days. The objective here is to shield the clownfish from any free swimmers released by tomonts in the QT. Copper will protect them from getting velvet. Formalin is only used when a fish has an active infection (i.e. visible white spots), because it forces some of the trophonts off of the fish.

OP
OP
Rocklin Mike

Rocklin Mike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update for those losing sleep over my clowns

19 more days in copper treated qt. All is well so far. They are eating well and enjoying their pvc home. I keep the lights off except when feeding and they are getting used to the food call.

After the total 30 days of copper treatment elapse, I plan to run carbon to remove the copper and then what? Observe for two weeks then into the DT?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back