Goby Ich and Treatment

Discussion in 'Fish Disease Treatment and Diagnosis' started by Rocklin Mike, Sep 25, 2017.

1. Rocklin Mike

Rocklin Mike Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

just got a diamond goby yesterday and two clowns. Goby was fine yesterday, today covered in what looks like ich. I was gonna start meds but wondering should I begin with prazi or go straight to cuprimine? Other treatments?

Also of note, I had a bag leak some purigen beads into the tank. Thought it was eggs until I realized what was going on.

This is in my 29gal qt. Please advise.

077B3480-7ABA-4EBB-834D-52B5BE466877.jpeg

Tags:

2. Humblefish

Humblefish Dr. Fish Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Louisiana Reef Club Expert Contributor Article Contributor Partner Member 2018

3. marktea

marktea Well-Known Member

IMO, tons of fish just have the virus that sits dormant in them and there's nothing anyone can do about it. The virus is likely to come out during high times of stress, transferring to a new tank being one of them. I would personally let him be and try not to stress him further. It will likely go away on it own 2-3 days. Controversial, listen to others opinions as well!

4. Rocklin Mike

Velvet, wow. Okay I’ll start treatment now. Clowns will be okay going along for the ride?

5. BigJohnny

BigJohnny Well-Known Member

Ich and velvet are parasites, not viruses.

6. Humblefish

Humblefish Dr. Fish Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Louisiana Reef Club Expert Contributor Article Contributor Partner Member 2018

Yes, all fish who share water with the goby need to be treated.

Big G and 4FordFamily like this.
  7. Rocklin Mike

So I don’t have the stuff for the medicated bath. Anyone know if its carried at chain pet stores?
    I only have cupramine and prazi.

acriflavine or Formalin

8. Humblefish

Sometimes Petsmart carries Quick Cure, Aquarium Solutions Ich-X or Kordon Rid-Ich Plus (all contain formalin).

However, if you can't find acriflavine or formalin carry on with just the 5 min FW dip and then treat with copper.

9. melypr1985

melypr1985 totally addicted Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Leader Expert Contributor Article Contributor

I agree with the velvet diagnosis. Get started on it as quickly as you can.

Big G, 4FordFamily and Humblefish like this.
  10. marktea

marktea Well-Known Member

I stand corrected, good luck battling your velvet Mike!

Rocklin Mike likes this.
  11. Humblefish

12. Rocklin Mike

Struck out at petsmart and petco. I’ll order online and hopefully goby can hang in there.

13. Rocklin Mike

Freshwater Dip complete. Qt dosed to .5mg/l

Goby did pretty good and looked much better after however I’m worried he won’t make it through the night.

I have formalin stuff coming tomorrow if he’s still around otherwise it will be part of my kit for future.

Thanks for the help so far everyone.

14. Rocklin Mike

Quick question, does the cupramine dissipate? Like will I have to test often and re-dose?

15. Humblefish

So long as nothing is absorbing it (rock/sand), it should remain stable once you reach therapeutic (0.5 mg/L). However, regular testing is still recommended.

16. Rocklin Mike

Thanks Humblefish.

Quick update, goby survived the night. Looks a little better and I have hope for him. I moved the lid to make it more secure and must have startled him cuz he jumped out of the tank. Still has spirit .

If he makes it through the day, I’ll attempt to feed this evening.

Since I did the fw dip, should I do the med bath as well? I have the Kordon ich stuff with formalin coming but I don’t want to stress the fish anymore than necessary.

17. 4FordFamily

4FordFamily Tang, Angel, & Wrasse Addict R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Leader Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor Partner Member 2018

Glad it survived the night. Velvet is nasty you were smart to act quickly!

I would leave the fish in copper and avoid more baths at this point, personally.

Big G, Rocklin Mike and Humblefish like this.
  18. Humblefish

If he's eating, then prognosis is good and I wouldn't attempt a formalin bath. Just make sure the Cu level in QT remains at therapeutic.

Don Lidtke and Rocklin Mike like this.
  19. Rocklin Mike

Goby died. Was alive when I got home. Tried to feed and he didn’t respond. Two hours later he was dead.

Question, I’v now figured I’ll just buy fish from online reputable shops and I’m wondering if I should just finish the Cu treatment on the two clowns that remain before I add another fish? Or can I give them a 14 day period and observe, remove the copper, 2 more weeks of qt before they move to DT and before I add more fish?

20. Big G

Big G Well-Known Member Build Thread Contributor

The parasites are in the water and are attacking your clowns. Keep going with the copper. And keep an eye out for secondary infections. Sorry for your loss.

Humblefish likes this.