Goby Ich and Treatment

Rocklin Mike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just got a diamond goby yesterday and two clowns. Goby was fine yesterday, today covered in what looks like ich. I was gonna start meds but wondering should I begin with prazi or go straight to cuprimine? Other treatments?

Also of note, I had a bag leak some purigen beads into the tank. Thought it was eggs until I realized what was going on.

This is in my 29gal qt. Please advise.

077B3480-7ABA-4EBB-834D-52B5BE466877.jpeg

marktea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO, tons of fish just have the virus that sits dormant in them and there's nothing anyone can do about it. The virus is likely to come out during high times of stress, transferring to a new tank being one of them. I would personally let him be and try not to stress him further. It will likely go away on it own 2-3 days. Controversial, listen to others opinions as well!

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO, tons of fish just have the virus that sits dormant in them and there's nothing anyone can do about it. The virus is likely to come out during high times of stress, transferring to a new tank being one of them. I would personally let him be and try not to stress him further. It will likely go away on it own 2-3 days. Controversial, listen to others opinions as well!
Ich and velvet are parasites, not viruses.

OP
OP
Rocklin Mike

Rocklin Mike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I don’t have the stuff for the medicated bath. Anyone know if its carried at chain pet stores?
I only have cupramine and prazi.

acriflavine or Formalin

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I don’t have the stuff for the medicated bath. Anyone know if its carried at chain pet stores?
I only have cupramine and prazi.

acriflavine or Formalin

Sometimes Petsmart carries Quick Cure, Aquarium Solutions Ich-X or Kordon Rid-Ich Plus (all contain formalin).

However, if you can't find acriflavine or formalin carry on with just the 5 min FW dip and then treat with copper.

OP
OP
Rocklin Mike

Rocklin Mike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Freshwater Dip complete. Qt dosed to .5mg/l

Goby did pretty good and looked much better after however I’m worried he won’t make it through the night.

I have formalin stuff coming tomorrow if he’s still around otherwise it will be part of my kit for future.

Thanks for the help so far everyone.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick question, does the cupramine dissipate? Like will I have to test often and re-dose?

So long as nothing is absorbing it (rock/sand), it should remain stable once you reach therapeutic (0.5 mg/L). However, regular testing is still recommended.

OP
OP
Rocklin Mike

Rocklin Mike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Humblefish.

Quick update, goby survived the night. Looks a little better and I have hope for him. I moved the lid to make it more secure and must have startled him cuz he jumped out of the tank. Still has spirit .

If he makes it through the day, I’ll attempt to feed this evening.

Since I did the fw dip, should I do the med bath as well? I have the Kordon ich stuff with formalin coming but I don’t want to stress the fish anymore than necessary.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad it survived the night. Velvet is nasty you were smart to act quickly!

I would leave the fish in copper and avoid more baths at this point, personally.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If he's eating, then prognosis is good and I wouldn't attempt a formalin bath. Just make sure the Cu level in QT remains at therapeutic.

OP
OP
Rocklin Mike

Rocklin Mike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Goby died. Was alive when I got home. Tried to feed and he didn’t respond. Two hours later he was dead.

Question, I’v now figured I’ll just buy fish from online reputable shops and I’m wondering if I should just finish the Cu treatment on the two clowns that remain before I add another fish? Or can I give them a 14 day period and observe, remove the copper, 2 more weeks of qt before they move to DT and before I add more fish?

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The parasites are in the water and are attacking your clowns. Keep going with the copper. And keep an eye out for secondary infections. Sorry for your loss.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 100 76.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 11 8.5%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 17 13.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back