Goby is in the construction business

Risk1994

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone seen this behaviour? Had this guy for many months, he just today started piling sand from all over the tank into a little mountain in the middle....

That rock on the top right is where he sleeps every night, opens a hole, swims in then covers it up for bed, in the morning he pops out...

This is a mountain he's building in the middle of the tank...I have no idea why but he's been hard at it all day.

20220122_172409.jpg

KeepSwimming

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes! He has a cave that he clears off in the morning and then disguises and a sand drift. The hermit crabs have lost their extra shells because he uses them as a rebar for before he adds new sand.
1C27AB44-8A9B-421D-AE5C-AD4786A2D9D6.jpeg

OP
OP
R

Risk1994

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Normal behavior. They don't just sift the sand but burrow and live in it too.
Yes I understand this....he does this every night for months...

What Im saying is that just today he has started building an entirely new, very large pile in the middle of the tank. This is not where he sleeps every night...this is in a different area of the tank. And its a bigger pile than I've ever seen him make.

He's taken a ton of sand from all over the tank to the point Im seeing glass bottom everywhere.

Maybe he's decided he wants a different sleeping spot? IDK but I have never seen him doing this before...

20220122_195023-1.jpg

jassermd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like he's building a new burrow... when I had mine, he would change his burrow every month or so. I'd see a new pile of sand in the rocks that wasn't there before, not much different than what you're seeing.
FWIW, my jawfish does the same thing, but doesn't change burrows. She builds and rebuilds her burrow with new entries every day. Fun to watch.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back