Goby & Pistol Shrimp

Nate Barber

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, just set up a 20G long nano tank that is currently cycling. I would like to add a Goby/Pistol shrimp pair when it's finished, but I am unsure which goby to pair with which shrimp. My sand bed is about 1-1/2" to 2" deep with a live rock structure in the middle. The tank is going to be a reef because once you get your first taste of corals you never go back amiright? Anyways, any and all help on the subject would be appreciated [emoji16]
20180710_155840.jpeg

easily_fishstracted

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i found an already-paired yasha and pistol at my LFS - they're pretty entertaining on the rare occasions they're out of their caves..

NoWaiAma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rock touching bottom or on sand? If that top one isn’t really secure it could drop.

Have had it happen a few times

OP
OP
Nate Barber

Nate Barber

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rock touching bottom or on sand? If that top one isn’t really secure it could drop.

Have had it happen a few times
Yeah, I spent about 30 minutes making sure the rocks were secured and touching the bottom of the aquarium instead of resting on the sand just for the purpose of the pistol shrimp I plan to add.

Travis Stewart

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would also base my pick of goby by what corals you plan to put in the sand as some goby are a lot messier than others.

OP
OP
Nate Barber

Nate Barber

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would also base my pick of goby by what corals you plan to put in the sand as some goby are a lot messier than others.
Alright, any examples of messy/cleaner gobies? I have some baby plate coral growing off of a dead plate skeleton in my 94 gallon and was contemplating adding one once the tank and the plates have matured.

Travis Stewart

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say the sand sifting gobies are more likely to be messy. I had a watchman and he was probably in the middle.

fishnchip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yasha goby and pistol shrimp pair!! I've got a yasha goby pair and a pistol shrimp in my 32 and I really like them! They're not as shy as I was told they would be, so I'd definitely give them a go

Nicholas Dushynsky

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a yellow watchman for 8 months, then I introduced the pistol shrimp, the goby went straight to it and sorta picked it up by its tail and sat next to it.
Unfortunately the shrimp has made its home under a rock that isn't big enough for both of them,so the shrimp hides all day and only comes out after lights out.

The goby just does the same as he used to do during the day but when the lights go out and the shrimp uncovers his cave the goby sits by the entrance. I have had the shrimp for just over a month and a half have only seen it out of its cave once. I just wish he had picked a better rock to move under.

Back