Goby qt environment question

Ishai Thatcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey y’all! Currently in the process of quarantining all my fish for my 120 gallon sps dominant mixed reef, and my 30 gallon nem tank (plumbed in the same system). So far I’ve got: a pair of kauderns cardinals, a watanabei angelfish, a cleaner shrimp (in my coral qt) and a melanurus wrasse, all of them doing pretty well.
I have a trio of chalk bass coming in the next week, and a bonded pair of pink bar gobies as well.

my question was this- do you guys think it’ll work to just put like a glass Tupperware with a few inches of sand in it in one of the qt tanks for the pink bar gobies? I don’t want to put a whole sand bed in there cause I wanna be able to use medications and not have them get absorbed. I did the same thing for the Melanurus so he has somewhere to hide, but he seems super chill so far.

I also am wanting to get a pair of yellow watchman gobies. the pink bars will go in the smaller 30 gallon with an alpheus pistol shrimp, and the watchman will go in the big display as they are a little bit bigger and more bold, also with a pistol shrimp.

currently struggling to find any pistol shrimp available though. Any sources?

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The container will work. But, I've found that actually piling the sand into a pile on top of a couple of pvc pieces works better.

OP
OP
Ishai Thatcher

Ishai Thatcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The container will work. But, I've found that actually piling the sand into a pile on top of a couple of pvc pieces works better.
Oh fantastic idea, I’ll pick up some pvc pieces in the next few days and take your suggestion! I’ll prolly just put them in the sand Tupperware too cause I don’t wanna have the sand go everywhere.
Thanks so much!

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh fantastic idea, I’ll pick up some pvc pieces in the next few days and take your suggestion! I’ll prolly just put them in the sand Tupperware too cause I don’t wanna have the sand go everywhere.
Thanks so much!
I doubt the sand will go everywhere. My gobies in quarantine always kept the sand all piled in one spot to cover the PVC they liked to hide in. But, it would be interesting to see if the goby would go to the pvc hiding place in the container of sand and bury the pvc there.

OP
OP
Ishai Thatcher

Ishai Thatcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I doubt the sand will go everywhere. My gobies in quarantine always kept the sand all piled in one spot to cover the PVC they liked to hide in. But, it would be interesting to see if the goby would go to the pvc hiding place in the container of sand and bury the pvc there.
I’ll respond to this thread and we will see! thanks so much again.

925Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks so much!
Gonna be putting a diamond goby and a jawfish into qt tomorrow. Did you use that method with the pvc in the sand or find that it worked better in a corner just buried?

OP
OP
Ishai Thatcher

Ishai Thatcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gonna be putting a diamond goby and a jawfish into qt tomorrow. Did you use that method with the pvc in the sand or find that it worked better in a corner just buried?
I just put the pvc in a little pile of sand, the gobies then proceeded to go and live under a piece of rock instead

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back