Going on 2 weeks - BTA Still Hiding

Ballman17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been lurking for a while and I've read 100s of posts on how to just let my BTA do its thing. However I've never seen anyone post their BTA who's been hiding for almost 2 weeks now. I placed him on top of the rock in the picture when first putting him in the tank only for him to crawl on the underside and hide in the cave. After a week I became impatient and flipped the rock over so he was now right side up with the foot still firmly attached. He stayed for 2 days and then has moved to where he is in the picture. I have 2 RW8's in a 55 gallon tank and this is basically dead center out of any direct flow. I have a cheap light () which I turned down to 15% blues and whites when first acclimating but he still acts like it's too bright. Water parameters are decent with po4 and nitrates little dirt from my wife over feeding.

Do you guys think I can just chalk it up to weird behavior. He was pretty bleached from the LFS so I have been feeding it small peices of shrimp every few days. He's generally bubbly with mouth closed so no worries there other than his hiding from the light. Thanks!

20210826_192353.jpg 20210821_082827.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Likely too much light, water flow or both
Assure salinity at 1.025 at temp if 77-79

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I hope this brings you some comfort. My bta I have had for a bit over 1 month. He was hidden under a rock with tips partially out. For a month. I had to destroy his home due to a large pest. I target fed my bta 2 times per week. Also, I think he caught food that drifted past him. Forcing him out of the rock is a bad idea. Probably very light sensitive due to being bleached.

I am by far from a nem expert. And still rather a beginner in bta care.

Stayed here for a month
bta hidding.jpg

And now.

bta 005.jpg

reefz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it might be your light. It doesnt not have the spectrum suitible for coral. Get something better, cause you wont get far with that. If your on a budget, a good blackbox works wonders for nano tanks. I used to use this one, and my nems stayed healthy

OP
OP
Ballman17

Ballman17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you Mibu! Definately comforting. Reefz, noted and I will look at those and see what I come up with. Much appreciated!

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 18 29.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 51 83.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.9%
Back