Going on 3rd day with pinched mantle

Aframereef

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 9, 2016
Messages
225
Reaction score
260
What state or country do you live in
Wisconsin
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is day 3 of my 18 inch gigas.
12/23/2023. Thoughts?

20231223_080937.jpg
 
To me it looks like something may have nipped at the mantle in that spot. Any suspect fish or inverts bothering it?

For now, I'd just keep an eye on it, if that spot worsens or other parts of the mantle start to retract, then considering giving it a FW dip.
 
It's just that one spot. Here is the clam. Hard to get a full shot as he is big.
 

Attachments

  • 20231223_132733.jpg
    20231223_132733.jpg
    230.7 KB · Views: 111
Have not seen anyone nipping but I am at work mist of the time. My female clown lives or sleeps in him. I have 3 purple tangs that I know from past experiences may bother him a bit but haven't seen it. Wrasse seems to leave him alone, as do other tangs and cardinals.
I have seen retraction in the past but it wasn't this deep or this long. I will take daily pics as I'm off for a week.
Thanks
 
Beautiful clam! My personal guess is that one of the tangs inadvertently nipped it, I've seen my purple come close a few times while picking around. Hopefully it recovers quickly.
 
I agree with @minus9 it doesn’t look like PMD.

Pinched mantle disease looks like the clam is trying to extend its mantle, but can’t. It’s like the mantle is stapled to the shell.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 3 50.0%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new