Going on vacation.. need tank advice

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Planning a vacation to go diving down in Belize, thinking around 10days.. only problem is I have a tank! I am not too worried about my two clowns and yellow watchman goby... but my dwarf golden moray eel! He’s a friendly fellow to everyone, until day 4/5 comes of time to eat and he starts sticking his head out further and further. Today he just sat with his mouth open looking at me. Just wondering what I could do for him exactly.. feed him heavily the days upcoming leaving? Attempt now to start to get him on a 8~9 eating plan? Like I said he doesn’t venture too far and I’m just afraid he’ll either get really active, or possibly make someone a meal.... not really too sure about the latter however.

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have no friends in the hobby in your area that you could trust to feed your tank?

kamike91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How often do you feed your golden dwarf? I read in the wild they eat large quantities in less frequency, fasting almost 2 weeks at a time... so I feed mine once or twice a week usually, sometimes once in two weeks. I think yours should be fine for 10 days.

dutch27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I go away I have a family member swing by every couple of days to check on the tank and feed the fish. If nobody is around, consider hiring a local LFS that does tank maintenance to check in for feedings and top off every few days.

OP
OP
Be102

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything in my tank seems to be fine if I don’t feed it, it’s not uncommon for me to feed like 1-2 a week with just my clowns and stuff. Maybe that’s why they’re skinny? It just seems I have tank problems when I overfeed. I could potentially find someone to take a look @ the eel whilst away.. it’s just more of a very hands on activity ( come feed my eel fresh seafood) vs “ hey can you drop some flakes in)

kamike91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Everything in my tank seems to be fine if I don’t feed it, it’s not uncommon for me to feed like 1-2 a week with just my clowns and stuff. Maybe that’s why they’re skinny? It just seems I have tank problems when I overfeed. I could potentially find someone to take a look @ the eel whilst away.. it’s just more of a very hands on activity ( come feed my eel fresh seafood) vs “ hey can you drop some flakes in)
Yeah I feel you, the eel requires hand feeding with tongs and fresh cuts meat.

OP
OP
Be102

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I feel you, the eel requires hand feeding with tongs and fresh cuts meat.
Just a little harder than the usual “ I can feed fish how hard can it be” I guess realistically I can just try starting now and see how a 10 day period w/o him eating goes.

malacoda

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I go away I have a family member swing by every couple of days to check on the tank and feed the fish. If nobody is around, consider hiring a local LFS that does tank maintenance to check in for feedings and top off every few days.

+1 And if a local tank maintenance company is either too expensive or won't do a 'one-time-only' visit for liability/insurance/pricing reasons, they'll often recommend you to one of their service employees who might do it as a side job during their off hours.

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
10 days is no problem if it's the eel's choice. When I moved mine from the 10g holding tank into his 35g forever home it took a week for me to even see him, and 12 days before he ate. That being said if the eel is hungry and you don't feed it, it will start looking for food on its own. I wouldn't say your fish would be the first choice, but rather it would try carpet surfing and look fornthe closest sushi restrauant. I doubt it'll male it there in time before it dries out. Make sure you have a TIGHT lid if you're leaving, and I'd try and fatten him up before heading out. Try feeding larger than normal portions.

OP
OP
Be102

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
10 days is no problem if it's the eel's choice. When I moved mine from the 10g holding tank into his 35g forever home it took a week for me to even see him, and 12 days before he ate. That being said if the eel is hungry and you don't feed it, it will start looking for food on its own. I wouldn't say your fish would be the first choice, but rather it would try carpet surfing and look fornthe closest sushi restrauant. I doubt it'll male it there in time before it dries out. Make sure you have a TIGHT lid if you're leaving, and I'd try and fatten him up before heading out. Try feeding larger than normal portions.

Sounds crazy... but should I potentially disconnect my overflow /return for the time I'm away, to be able to lock him in the tank securely? currently my lid is 30% off, and I havent seen him out of the rocks since I added him. When i first did add him, I had to run around my tank using the net to keep him inside, until I got the lid on. I'm just thinking it would give me the comfort of him not going out, and rather him just making a snack of my clownfish. ( he seems more afraid of them more than anything)

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't sacrifice your filtration on it. Not having that circulation could nuke your tank. See if you can figure out a way to close off that last little bit... even if its something completely redneck. Like say duct tape... remember it's temporary until you get home.

OP
OP
Be102

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't sacrifice your filtration on it. Not having that circulation could nuke your tank. See if you can figure out a way to close off that last little bit... even if its something completely redneck. Like say duct tape... remember it's temporary until you get home.
I guess a duct-taped eel inside the tank is better than outside :rolleyes:

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 37 59.7%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 16 25.8%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 8.1%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 1.6%
Back