Going to LFS for CUC. Any tips?

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They pre qt everything for about 3 weeks so i should be good, but I probably should still qt them all together. do I just feed the hermits and snails seaweed?
If your doing qt then snails, hemits, and corals need a full quarantine. Ya I think they'd eat seaweed
Screenshot_20210206-201012_Chrome.jpg

OP
OP
Dark_Knightt

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my suggestion... more inverts less fish at this point. 1 Cardinal . Buy as many inverts as you want within reason....if they help with CUC then it's a massive bonus. Urchins ya, invaluable in my own setup over the years, if you can stand them moving around pretty much everything. Snails yes, don't get hung up on species, they all munch....brittle or serpent star? Another great addition imo, will clean up detritus in the sand bed and under rock voraciously. Little Hermits always valuable. take it, you are visiting Big Al in Newmarket or Barrie? Or another independent?
Either the Newmarket or Mississauga location. I've placed the order to Mississauga, but they dont have the shrimp and a few other things so I may just cancel my Mississauga order and go to Newmarket. Im friends with one of the guys there.
Edit: Newmarket also has bicolor blennys, so that may work better than a pajama cardinal.

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Either the Newmarket or Mississauga location. I've placed the order to Mississauga, but they dont have the shrimp and a few other things so I may just cancel my Mississauga order and go to Newmarket. Im friends with one of the guys there.
Go where you KNOW.

OP
OP
Dark_Knightt

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go where you KNOW.

Newmarket is a good store....have dealt with them before. Trustworthy.....
I got my first clowns in Newmarket location, after Mississauga lied to me about having clowns lol. Mississauga never has everything I need. Newmarket always does. Excellent customer service, highly knowledgeable staff, Jeff in the fish room is the absolute best!

CanuckReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got my first clowns in Newmarket location, after Mississauga lied to me about having clowns lol. Mississauga never has everything I need. Newmarket always does. Excellent customer service, highly knowledgeable staff, Jeff in the fish room is the absolute best!
And there you have it! Ya, customer service is important, I've always found them to be on the level.... honest about recommendation and not too much eagerness to sell you stuff...good to know that is 'Jeff' he's solid fella imo

CanuckReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once again, highly recommend a serpent or brittle star to add in....will be a valuable addition to your CUC, reef safe, fairly cheap, and you'll have a ton of fun watching him slink around between rocks. Any extra food that's uneaten you worry about? He'll take care of it.....

OP
OP
Dark_Knightt

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once again, highly recommend a serpent or brittle star to add in....will be a valuable addition to your CUC, reef safe, fairly cheap, and you'll have a ton of fun watching him slink around between rocks. Any extra food that's uneaten you worry about? He'll take care of it.....
Ive heard starfish are hard to keep longterm, but i would like one. care tips?

CanuckReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah yes they are...but these arent true starfish. They are there own genus. Brittle and serpent stars are much more hardy for an aquarium reef. Care tips are, literally feed tank as usual, they will clean up the mess. You might even see them slink out when they smell the food as advertised to the fish. Long and short, no special care.

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brittle and serpent stars are awesome, I've kept them for many years. They aren't typical clean up crew but they are fun to watch and will take care of any animals that die in your tank. I highly recommend spot feeding them occasionally or they will start to eat their own legs.

Also check out the chart I posted. It's from @Humblefish. I personally don't qt at all but if your looking to keep ick out of your tank then you need to abide by it for snails, hermits, and the like

CanuckReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brittle and serpent stars are awesome, I've kept them for many years. They aren't typical clean up crew but they are fun to watch and will take care of any animals that die in your tank. I highly recommend spot feeding them occasionally or they will start to eat their own legs.

Also check out the chart I posted. It's from @Humblefish. I personally don't qt at all but if your looking to keep ick out of your tank then you need to abide by it for snails, hermits, and the like
Ah another non QT member....my LFS 2 of them will QT my fish (I dont buy many over the years as they are all long lived and healthy knock on wood) for 2 weeks no charge. But dont QT my inverts whatsoever. It's not worth it imo. Invert heavy tank here, slow drip, and off they go. I do have pests but that's part of life on the reef imo....

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah another non QT member....my LFS 2 of them will QT my fish (I dont buy many over the years as they are all long lived and healthy knock on wood) for 2 weeks no charge. But dont QT my inverts whatsoever. It's not worth it imo. Invert heavy tank here, slow drip, and off they go. I do have pests but that's part of life on the reef imo....
I think we're more or less on the same page here. 2 week observation sounds great and I asked my lfs to do that before I picked up my powder blue tang a couple of years ago.

But it's not quite the the same as what we consider quarantining. if one is looking for a pest free tank then it's best to abide by humblefish recommendations for fish, inverts, corals, ect https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/coral-invert-quarantine-time-frames.382/

OP
OP
Dark_Knightt

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive never QTd inverts either, but fish I will always QT. except the mandarin i had a few months back.

OP
OP
Dark_Knightt

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I trust Big Als (Newmarket and Mississauga) that they quarantine everything that comes into their store, when I asked for blood shrimp they said they sold out, but they have gotten some new ones in that morning but wont be available for another 3-4 weeks due to QT. Also when I went to the MIssissauga location to buy my first tank inhabitants, my clowns, they had plenty of clowns but they hadnt finished QT yet, and if i remember correctly they had a little paper stuck on the tank on which they kept track of the days of QT left.
But in the end, I dont QT inverts (especially if theyve been pre QTd, fish I have never QTd cuz ive only ever had three fish, one died, but now that I am adding a fish to an existing reef, I will definitely QT.

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
fish I will always QT.
fish I have never QTd cuz ive only ever had three fish
I'm a bit confused here..

Anyways that's great that you trust your lfs. I get fish and inverts from many places that I know are full of diseases ( petco, random lfs, reefers, ect) and do not qt. But I'm not looking for a disease free tank. If you aren't either then I strongly recommend you look into the paul b method of keeping healthy fish

OP
OP
Dark_Knightt

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have returned from the LFS, heres what I got: *pics when I finish acclimation, will also update build thread.*
- 1 bicolor blenny
- 1 turbo snail (omg that thing is HUGE! Its bigger than a golfball!)
- 1 banded serpent starfish
- 1 Skunk cleaner shrimp
- 3 different zoa frags, I dont know what kind they are, but I know one of them is a rasta which i specifically requested.
- 2 nassarius
- 2 red legged hermits

AnotherReefHobbyist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have returned from the LFS, heres what I got: *pics when I finish acclimation, will also update build thread.*
- 1 bicolor blenny
- 1 turbo snail (omg that thing is HUGE! Its bigger than a golfball!)
- 1 banded serpent starfish
- 1 Skunk cleaner shrimp
- 3 different zoa frags, I dont know what kind they are, but I know one of them is a rasta which i specifically requested.
- 2 nassarius
- 2 red legged hermits
It always happens, you come out with more than you came in for, happend to me too, went to petco to return a fish tank, came out with a bubble coral colony ;)

Back