Gold Heart Trigger - Swim Bladder?

0MNSH1ZLLC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This one is a bummer, she's really reeling.

Hasn't eaten in days and I found her laying at the bottom of the tank this morning.

I was out of town doing the automatic feeder for 10 days so her diet has changed.

Is there anything I can do at this point? I'm seeing no other signs of trauma. Cloudy eyes, fin nips, distended gut.

Previously had my Porc Puff with swim bladder that I treated with antibiotics. Had to give a well-mannered Clown Trigger to a LFS a few months back that never got better.

Problem is, they both ate...old girl here is not eating.

@Jay Hemdal

Attachments

• IMG_8909.mp4
    5 MB
  • IMG_8910.mp4
    4.9 MB

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry - the video only shows moderately rapid breathing, I can't tell you what happened here. Condition-wise, the fish looks good.

How long have you had it?
Are all other fish symptom free?

Jay

OP
OP
0MNSH1ZLLC

0MNSH1ZLLC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry - the video only shows moderately rapid breathing, I can't tell you what happened here. Condition-wise, the fish looks good.

How long have you had it?
Are all other fish symptom free?

Jay

6-9 months approximately...?

I went out of town for 10 days and was feeding primarily pellets. Which is not her normal diet.

All other fish are fat and happy. Pink Tail had a mild case of Ich about a month ago but that has all healed up with Prazi, no copper.

I just tested and Phos is high. Not sure what to do about it since I did a 40gal change when I came home on Monday. Another big change?

Stomach looks distended here but could just be triggered in...

Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks @Jay Hemdal

Attachments

• IMG_8930.mp4
    5.1 MB

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Here is another angle, thanks again @Jay Hemdal @vetteguy53081
This video will have to be posted again under white lighting as I have no clue what im looking at from image so dark
Any unusual feces color or texture?
As for Phos, allow water to calm down after water change done and test again. High phos will impact coral more than it will fish. You can if truly high reduce with a pouch of chemi Pure Elite or a couple of teaspoon of Granite ferrous oxide (GFO) in a nylon pouch placed in sump - NOT Tank itself

OP
OP
0MNSH1ZLLC

0MNSH1ZLLC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This video will have to be posted again under white lighting as I have no clue what im looking at from image so dark
Any unusual feces color or texture?
As for Phos, allow water to calm down after water change done and test again. High phos will impact coral more than it will fish. You can if truly high reduce with a pouch of chemi Pure Elite or a couple of teaspoon of Granite ferrous oxide (GFO) in a nylon pouch placed in sump - NOT Tank itself

Thanks, I need to get a new phone the camera stinks, hopefully these are better.

What would unusual feces look like?

I have 3 pouches of Chemi Pure in the sump rated for 35 gallons each no GFO.

Nitrate is at .5, Ammonia is 0

Attachments

• IMG_8935.mp4
    9.7 MB
  • IMG_8939.jpeg
    IMG_8939.jpeg
    211.2 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_8937.jpeg
    IMG_8937.jpeg
    191.5 KB · Views: 23

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Thanks, I need to get a new phone the camera stinks, hopefully these are better.

Regular chemiPure is high grade carbon for water polishing and removal of toxins, if any
I cannot see face and belly in images.
To alleviate phos and even nitrate playing a role, place fish in a quarantine tank with fresh, sterile water not tank water and air stone for added oxygen and see if it perks up

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I think you can completely rule out water quality issues here - I got a glimpse of the harlequin tusk and it looks fine. Tusks are much more delicate than triggers are in regards to water quality.

However, the humu humu is breathing a bit fast. Two triggers showing similar symptoms is something of note. Could be gill flukes - some species of flukes are specific to attacking certain species of fish.

You might try a five minute freshwater dip on the golden heart trigger. It might well kill it, but if you don't do something, it looks like it is going to die anyway. After the dip, look very closely in the container for any signs of flukes - if you have a magnifying lens or microscope, that would help. If the dip doesn't kill the trigger, but it looks better tomorrow, then that can confirm it was flukes and you can treat the whole tank.

Jay

Last edited:
OP
OP
0MNSH1ZLLC

0MNSH1ZLLC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you can completely rule out water quality issues here - I got a glimpse of the harlequin tusk and it looks fine. Tusks are much more delicate than triggers are in regards to water quality.

However, the humu humu is breathing a bit fast. Two triggers showing similar symptoms is something of note. Could be gill flukes - some species of flukes are specific to attacking certain species of fish.

You might try a fine minute freshwater dip on the golden heart trigger. It might well kill it, but if you don't do something, it looks like it is going to die anyway. After the dip, look very closely in the container for any signs of flukes - if you have a magnifying lens or microscope, that would help. If the dip doesn't kill the trigger, but it looks better tomorrow, then that can confirm it was flukes and you can treat the whole tank.

Jay

Definitely something going on. I've lost track of my GH and Blue Throat. I'm assuming the worst.

Unfortunately, my Arrowhead Basslet randomly croaked last night. Major bummer.

I've lowered the salinity to 1.01 changing 40-50 gal to treat the entire tank. I do have some prazi, since I can't find the trigs should I just put it in?

Thanks!

OP
OP
0MNSH1ZLLC

0MNSH1ZLLC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely something going on. I've lost track of my GH and Blue Throat. I'm assuming the worst.

Unfortunately, my Arrowhead Basslet randomly croaked last night. Major bummer.

I've lowered the salinity to 1.01 changing 40-50 gal to treat the entire tank. I do have some prazi, since I can't find the trigs should I just put it in?

Thanks!

Here is an additional video of the full tank...looks like the Undulate's belly is distended.

Let me know if you have any more ideas, much appreciated @Jay Hemdal

Attachments

• IMG_8979.mp4
    4.2 MB
  • IMG_8978.mp4
    8.1 MB

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is an additional video of the full tank...looks like the Undulate's belly is distended.

Let me know if you have any more ideas, much appreciated @Jay Hemdal

I prefer to not run multiple treatments at the same time, it can double up on the stress. People have run hyposalinity and prazi together, but I have not.

Hyposalinity can take up to 3 days after hitting full hypo before improvements are seen.

Jay

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 41 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 145 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.6%
Back