Gold Spotted Rabbit Fish question.

DannoOMG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a fish that has been in my bosses tank for a few months now. He was shy at first but quickly became a friendly fish and loved to pig out during feedings. Loved watching him chomp on bubble algae.

Since Tuesday and Wednesday he has not been showing up to feedings. I see him for 5 seconds and then he is gone. Today is Thursday and I haven't seen him all day.

Before I assume he is being stressed and is on his way out, is that a part of a rabbit fishes behavior to go hide for lengthy periods of time?

All the other fish seem happy, however if this Rabbit fish craps the bed, that would make my boss 0-3 in omnivore fish. Had a yellow eye tang, died after a few months. Had a baby yellow tang for maybe over a month, gone.

It's a 90 gallon tank and the rabbit fish isn't even over 2.5 inches yet.

Anybody with experience with this fish and it's behavior? I just feel bad cause he is such a fun goober to watch. =(

20210427_163348.jpg

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see some ich or maybe flukes on that rabbit. Rabbits can be timid, but they should always be hungry. Bummer.

Any of the rabbits, besides the group we call foxfaces, all get pretty darn big for a 90 gallon. This isn't the problem here of course. I just thought I'd mention that I like the kole much better.

I think you may have a disease issue here.

OP
OP
DannoOMG

DannoOMG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are two more pictures that are a little clearer on him. It's hard to photograph any fish in this tank cause (1) it's curved glass and (2) they move a lot.

I'm new to tanking and haven't encountered fish diseases yet. =(

dang.

Attachments

• 20210602_153549.jpg
    20210602_153549.jpg
    242.7 KB · Views: 76
  • 20210602_153533.jpg
    20210602_153533.jpg
    161.2 KB · Views: 55

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are two more pictures that are a little clearer on him. It's hard to photograph any fish in this tank cause (1) it's curved glass and (2) they move a lot.

I'm new to tanking and haven't encountered fish diseases yet. =(

dang.
I actually don't see anything on these next two pictures. Maybe what I was seeing was on the glass? Good luck, and keep us updated.

OP
OP
DannoOMG

DannoOMG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The water sometimes has a little debris flying around. I might have just fed when I took these. Also, this tank he has had forever. It had some imperfections on it and he brought it from home.

But ya, I will come back here if I see him again.

This tank hates tangs and maybe rabbit fish.

OP
OP
DannoOMG

DannoOMG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not seen the rabbit fish since last week. Presumed dead.

This would be the third omnivore fish that has bitten the dust in a year and a half.

All his other fish are fine...

=(

OP
OP
DannoOMG

DannoOMG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did the Rabbitfish ever show up?
No sir. Something funny is going on in the tank.

First the rabbit fish. Then the Firefish, then the Chromis, Then the Jester Goby and now the Dottyback is missing. No idea what is going on.

He did get some Emerald crabs and 2 of them are pretty big. But I have a hard time believing they would be responsible for this.

Our salt level went a little nuts. Jumped to 1.028 for a moment and now it's back down to 1.024.

No idea what is going on. It is kind of discouraging. Tank parameters seem find otherwise.

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might Ich or Velvet be wiping out your fish? If so, a decent clean up crew can make them ‘disappear’ pretty quickly.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 57 49.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 63 54.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 26 22.6%
  • None.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.8%
Back