Golden dwarf eel.

Jesmann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Does anyone know where to get a golden dwarf eel? I know they are hard to get due to hawiian ban. I know a few have been coming from the Philippines also.

Let's see some pictures and share your experiences with them. How long have you kept one? Are they invert and reef safe?

HudsonReefer2.0

Algae Happens
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Was inquiring myself the other day. Phillipines? Hmm. May b able to find one via a reefer selling or trying to rehome. I’ve been looking around. Good luck.

miyags

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Theres a yellow variety coming out of South America. Its a larger eel,grows to 2ft..The banana eel.

Last edited:

Steve and his Animals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Theres a variety coming out of South America. Its a larger eel,grows to 2ft..The banana eel.
Banana eels are just a color mutation of the goldentail moray, which on average are found at two feet in the wild, but can grow up to five.
Does anyone know where to get a golden dwarf eel? I know they are hard to get due to hawiian ban. I know a few have been coming from the Philippines also.

Let's see some pictures and share your experiences with them. How long have you kept one? Are they invert and reef safe?
As far as I'm aware true golden dwarves are a Hawaiian endemic, so unless you find one already out of state, I can't imagine you'll have much luck.

OP
OP
Jesmann

Jesmann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Banana eels are just a color mutation of the goldentail moray, which on average are found at two feet in the wild, but can grow up to five.

As far as I'm aware true golden dwarves are a Hawaiian endemic, so unless you find one already out of state, I can't imagine you'll have much luck.
I think some wholesales are selling them out of Tahiti or the Philippines. They may be collected in Hawaii. But I saw one recently and was told "collected in the Philippines" I was also told it was rare to find them there. It was in fact a true species im looking for but I was to slow to purchase.

OP
OP
Jesmann

Jesmann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
What lfs I want to call them and see if they ship

GK3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Sea Level Aquarium in Montville. All I saw was about an inch of its head. I double checked with one of the part timers that it was the real deal. He said yes. Then I double checked the price, $1200.
That’s 3-4x the cost they were. Crazy.

GK3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
2B87A9E6-0E19-48DD-B94C-A0E4C6A0ADB6.png

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 68 86.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.8%
Back