Goldenback Triggerfish

Pneumatic_Addict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

For anyone interested in picking up one of these little guys:

St Pete Saltwater Fish Store in Pinellas County, FL has one left at $350. Seems to be way under what everyone else is commanding. Figured I’d post it up for anyone interested.

They have pics posted on their FB page.

I am no way affiliated with them. But I buy all my food there. The owner is a solid dude.

FYI - He will not ship.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Pneumatic_Addict

Pneumatic_Addict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for sharing!! Rare indeed but I thought they needed dimmer lighting since they are a deep-water species

I bought one of the two they got in. Mine is currently in a QT with no lights, but plenty of ambient light in the room. Definitely shy, but eating like a pig when I walk away.

There’s multiple examples of Goldenbacks in reef tanks. I’ve had 3x bandits under regular reef lighting. The last Abe’s angel brought to the US was acclimated to standard lighting.

That being said, it’s a good note. These deep water species should definitely be slowly acclimated to higher light levels.

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bandits are among my favorite angels and one of the prime candidates for keeping in a pair (for me at least). I also think Blue Line, Gold Flake, and Regal Angels look awesome when kept in a pair.

A deepwater tank with a pair of Bandits as the main focus would be amazing.

Cheese Griller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

For anyone interested in picking up one of these little guys:

St Pete Saltwater Fish Store in Pinellas County, FL has one left at $350. Seems to be way under what everyone else is commanding. Figured I’d post it up for anyone interested.

They have pics posted on their FB page.

I am no way affiliated with them. But I buy all my food there. The owner is a solid dude.

FYI - He will not ship.
Not to derail the thread but that's such a great store! Always has great livestock and the owner is a great guy. Always enjoy stopping by even if just to see what cool stuff they have.

OP
OP
Pneumatic_Addict

Pneumatic_Addict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bandits are among my favorite angels and one of the prime candidates for keeping in a pair (for me at least). I also think Blue Line, Gold Flake, and Regal Angels look awesome when kept in a pair.

A deepwater tank with a pair of Bandits as the main focus would be amazing.

After 4 years, I lost mine a few months ago due to a very stupid mistake. Still hurts.

Plan was to always get him a mate and move them into their own tank with a few smaller fish. Hawaii shut down put a halt to that. Itching to get a couple Juvis and go back after it. They really are special fish….

Attachments

• DB2930C9-69EA-4F3A-A7D1-C450BA1E1F60.jpeg
    DB2930C9-69EA-4F3A-A7D1-C450BA1E1F60.jpeg
    158 KB · Views: 26
OP
OP
Pneumatic_Addict

Pneumatic_Addict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to derail the thread but that's such a great store! Always has great livestock and the owner is a great guy. Always enjoy stopping by even if just to see what cool stuff they have.

No derailment man! Thread served it’s purpose. Someone saw it and drove over from Orlando to pick her up. She’s off to a new home

They are an awesome little hole in the wall. Food selection is killer, owner is a great guy.

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That really sucks. Many people will point out it’s not the most colorful Angel, but it’s the simple coloration done well that puts it in the Top 5 angels for me. My other favorites are Goldflake, Blue Line, Majestic, Regal and Asfur. Your only way might be to get a tank bred Bandit from Karen Brittain, if she’s still doing them. I hope you are able to pair your guy up someday. What other fish did you have with him and how big of a system?

OP
OP
Pneumatic_Addict

Pneumatic_Addict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That really sucks. Many people will point out it’s not the most colorful Angel, but it’s the simple coloration done well that puts it in the Top 5 angels for me. My other favorites are Goldflake, Blue Line, Majestic, Regal and Asfur. Your only way might be to get a tank bred Bandit from Karen Brittain, if she’s still doing them. I hope you are able to pair your guy up someday. What other fish did you have with him and how big of a system?

Hey bud,

The color thing sailed with me a long time ago. French’s are my favorite, with bandit not far behind.

If anyone knows how to get in contact with her, I’m all in. If nothing else, just an update on her projects. But she’s inactive on RC and my friend request from 8 years ago is still pending on FB lol.

Just a 220g. Really having a hard time deciding what dimensions/builders to go with in the next one. Everyone is still “small”, so no real rush.

He was with a pair of Scribbled, pair of Regals, pair of Singapore, Conspic, Juvi Blueface and an Achilles. Bunch of Bimacs as well.

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you have a nice collection. How big are your current angels and how long have you had them? I might have tried contacting Karen a while back, but to no avail. Which of the large angels tend to stay smaller in your experience? I’m planning a similar tank, 72” x 28” x 24”. Will an Asfur stay small?

OP
OP
Pneumatic_Addict

Pneumatic_Addict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you have a nice collection. How big are your current angels and how long have you had them? I might have tried contacting Karen a while back, but to no avail. Which of the large angels tend to stay smaller in your experience? I’m planning a similar tank, 72” x 28” x 24”. Will an Asfur stay small?
Male scribbled is the biggest at ~7-8”. Had him for 4 years. Everything else is 3-5” and 2yrs to 4 months.

Asfurs are tough man, really hit or miss on temperament. They’re part of that “bruiser” angelfish group (emps, queens, kings, etc). get huge and grow quickish. Not trying to shoot down the Asfur. But if you do get one make it the last fish in the tank and get as small as possible.

Maybe a Maculosus if you’re looking for asfur color pattern but better temperament? Mac will outgrow that tank eventually though.

There’s a lot of smaller scribbled floating around. Regals as well.I’d go that direction if you’re trying to keep multiple “large” angels without an immediate tank upgrade. Regals grow slow. My male Scribbled is a total ham and has only grown 3” in 4 years.

Genicanthus and Apolemichthys angels would fit that footprint nicely too and stay smaller. Maybe look at Centropyge as well? I love watching my Multicolor pair, great little fish. You could do 2x harems of centropyge and 1x Asfur? Or a harem of Geni and 2x harems of Centro. Could be a killer tank….

Back