Goni care

Reef Nutrition

We Feed Your Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you feed? I have fed mine in the past. I had a G. Stokesi get fat and grow “babies” (bulb-like frags that drop off), by feeding it ground up Formula One flakes, bloom worms, Ocean Nutrition’s R.O.E and Oysterfeast. Great feeding response.

I have a Red ORA Goni that loves the Formula One flakes as well as goniopower, Reef chilli and fish poop. I have a metallic green G.Lobata that also eats these. And I have a new unidentified pink/purple Goni that kinda feeds, but is not getting good polyp extension.

Like you, I’m moving it around to different lighting and flow. One thing: you need to wait two weeks to determine if the new position is good or not.

Have you tried feeding anything?
Have you patiently waited long enough to assess if the new position is better than the last?

One caution: J. Sprung reports that once algae begin to get a foothold on a Goni branch, it slowly consumes the real estate (shrinking the surface area of Goni polyps and eventually causing their retraction). The presence of the snail is an ominous sign to me.

I just want to jump in here real quick and clarify that we, Reef Nutrition, produce R.O.E. and Oyster-Feast, not Ocean Nutrition. They are a totally different company. :) Thanks for mentioning our products!

Chad

BluewaterLa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are several different Goni's that we can acquire in the hobby.
Some are difficult to keep while others are easier.
Some extend long polyps that love to flow around in your tank while others have very short polyps that seems to stay stuck to the base but they are open just not much longer than the tentacles on the ends.

The one you have appears to be pink in color with small polyps, very similar to the short tentacle variety.
Have you ever seen it open and extended ? If so how long were the polyps ??

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ah good point @BluewaterLa I hope that is the casr for the OP. I dont have any goni's yet but really want one. not to be to much off topic. but besides ORA red any other color morph of captive breed or been in captivity thriving gonis we should know about?

in other words with are the easier to keep ones?

BluewaterLa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There was a good video I'm trying to remember for you to look at that gives a ridiculous amount of good information on Goni's
Want to say it was a speaker at Macna one or two years ago ?
They talk about many important points about the coral and give some types that are on the relatively easier side to keep along with the most difficult.

Most folks tend to think that is a vendor is selling a frag of a Goni its easier or been in captivity longer but this is just not true especially from my experience in purchasing some really nice colored morphs as frags only to have them waste away in a system that is supporting a few varieties well.
I would start with the Aussie Red commonly sold now days to get your feet wet with the care long term and see how that goes, Then branch out to the blue/ purple and so on.
Some tanks Never feed them and they do well, then there are tanks that must feed them once per week or so to keep them healthy. I suspect it has most to do with the amount of fish load and nutrients available in the system when it comes down to direct feeding regularly or not.
From my experience they tend to stay healthy long term with supplemental feedings.

sghera64

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There was a good video I'm trying to remember for you to look at that gives a ridiculous amount of good information on Goni's
Want to say it was a speaker at Macna one or two years ago ?
They talk about many important points about the coral and give some types that are on the relatively easier side to keep along with the most difficult.

Most folks tend to think that is a vendor is selling a frag of a Goni its easier or been in captivity longer but this is just not true especially from my experience in purchasing some really nice colored morphs as frags only to have them waste away in a system that is supporting a few varieties well.
I would start with the Aussie Red commonly sold now days to get your feet wet with the care long term and see how that goes, Then branch out to the blue/ purple and so on.
Some tanks Never feed them and they do well, then there are tanks that must feed them once per week or so to keep them healthy. I suspect it has most to do with the amount of fish load and nutrients available in the system when it comes down to direct feeding regularly or not.
From my experience they tend to stay healthy long term with supplemental feedings.

Is this what you were recalling:

http://archiv.korallenriff.de/Sindelfingen2006/Germany-neu2.pdf

Or it might have been Justin Credible.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Real issue is one Goni is not like another, there allot of varieties.

Some gonis are not too hard to keep while others are very hard to impossible. None are beginner corals.
They are all pretty touchy to the point some will close up just by putting your finger in the water.
Some gonis require lots of food and some require very little.
Some like higher nutrient while others not. Some wont tolerate high nutrient, others wont tolerate low nutrients while some it does not matter much.
Some like low light, some medium and some like high light.
This is why they are so hard to figure out sometime. Most are very particular about what they like and do not have a wide range.
Also found some do not take well to being fragged and do better as a whole colony.

Back