Goni getting... slime?

jmatt

Just gettin' started. Again.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This goni was doing great, then about two+ weeks ago it started getting unhappy. Came out less and less.

Today, this. Anyone know what the heck is going on with it? It's half covered in some kind of slime. Should I just dump it from the tank?

Goni slime.jpg

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BJD? Place a paper towel over it and carefully lift it out. If it stinks like nothing you've ever smelled in your life before it's BJD - and I'd just chuck it to prevent it from spreading.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s that coral next to it? Looks like a torch? It might have got stung since it’s on one side. Goni’s can’t take being stung and they get brown jelly easy if they get stung. I lost 2 just like that. They don’t recover.

OP
OP
jmatt

jmatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BJD? Place a paper towel over it and carefully lift it out. If it stinks like nothing you've ever smelled in your life before it's BJD - and I'd just chuck it to prevent it from spreading.

It didn't smell too bad but I tossed it just the same. I have neither the skill nor QT tank to try to resurrect this thing while it potentially infects the rest of the tank. And I'm headed away for four days, so... it's unfortunate.

As always, many thanks for the reply.

OP
OP
jmatt

jmatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s that coral next to it? Looks like a torch? It might have got stung since it’s on one side. Goni’s can’t take being stung and they get brown jelly easy if they get stung. I lost 2 just like that. They don’t recover.

The goni started acting funny before the torch was added and I made sure everything has some distance from it... but nevertheless, I'm not taking any chances. Thanks for the response.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a torch that stung the crap out of a goniopora (I think the torch made it its life mission), but the goni made a complete recovery and has since tripled in size.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 26.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 33 36.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 29.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 6.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back