Goniopora Dying? HELP!

Discussion in 'General LPS Discussion' started by clcollins426, Dec 10, 2017.

Tags:
  1. clcollins426

clcollins426 Member

We bought this flowerpot coral not even a month ago from liveaquaria and at first it looked great, polyp fully extended all the time and our clown was hosting. Then all of the sudden one night it just started peeling off and has only gotten worse as the days go by. According to all tests, pH, nitrates, nitrites, ammonia, and phosphates are all at the correct levels. Purple Up is added daily for calcium, strontium, etc. Feeding every other day with reef roids. It is in the lower middle of the tank with moderate flow and lighting. I'm just not sure what happened or if there is any hope of saving it. Any help is greatly appreciated. 20171210_182419.jpg Screenshot_20171210-184312.png 20171210_182419.jpg

Tags:

2. DSC reef

DSC reef Coral wasted R2R Supporter Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor

What about your calcium, alkalinity and magnesium? It doesn't look good but if there's tissue there's hope.

Lovemyreef2015 likes this.
  3. clcollins426

clcollins426 Member

We don't currently have any tests for calcium, magnesium, and alkalinity. I guess we should probably pick some up. But every other coral in the tank is looking great so I can't imagine they're off by much if at all. Should we pull it out of the tank? I'm afraid the fact that it's dying means there may be a possibility that it could be poisoning the tank.

4. Lovemyreef2015

Lovemyreef2015 I love Acans! R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award

I would definitely pick up test kits before you get anymore coral. It's good to know where your levels are and you want to keep them stable.

DSC reef likes this.
  5. skiergd011013

skiergd011013 Active Member

This is the only coral that i have ever had die on me. I was still a noob when i bought it years ago. They dont do good at all in captivity and are known to die.

6. DSC reef

DSC reef Coral wasted R2R Supporter Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor

Don't go by your other corals to know how your chemistry is. Just because other corals are fine doesn't mean the parameters are stable. Sensitive corals will show signs of something "off" before hardier corals will. Get the kits and test regularly, if your gonna keep corals long term you want to know the uptake and keep things stable. Keeping a regular routine with water changes can help with that. Goniopora can be hardy corals if there needs can be met, I wouldn't consider it a coral that will always die, it just has certain needs.

Vincent100 and Lovemyreef2015 like this.
  7. olecaptainj

olecaptainj Active Member

Try a red Goni. The green ones are extremely difficult and even experts have trouble with them long term.

8. DSC reef

IMO I wouldn't add any more coral until you get a baseline of the parameters, especially any goniopora.

cmcoker and Lovemyreef2015 like this.
  9. cmcoker

cmcoker Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor

Could be your clowns are loving it to death.. can you put a clear colander or one of the baskets strawberries come in over it and see if it improves without the clowns trying to be hosted?

Lovemyreef2015 and DSC reef like this.
  10. estebanb450

estebanb450 Member

I had alviapora all white one day it got a brown spot wasn’t Brown jelly. Than one day it recovered than fade and come back again all my Parms were stable don’t know what happened but it died. I believe mine was due to flow but was never confirmed.

Draft saved Draft deleted