Gonipora Coral Unhappy

Eva Rose

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 23, 2016
Messages
860
Reaction score
1,305
What state or country do you live in
Alabama
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hi. I have grouped Alvepora & Gonipora together before, no issues. I still watch for stinging just in case. My large pink Goni coral was extending nicely. Then it looked like possibly a tiny 1 inch Goni frag might be stinging it. It retracted in the middle (area near frag) at first . I moved the frag. But now entire large Goni colony is totally retracted & has been for 4 days. Any advice? See pics of it before (fully extended). Then retracting in one area. And now totally retracted.

48C262F5-F5D8-48FB-9167-101C72150615.jpeg


2CB1A0B3-5EB3-4F39-B573-465DF1FE029B.jpeg
 
Have you tried spot feeding to get a feeding response? Might help it to come back out? All other corals look fine?
 
Have you tried spot feeding to get a feeding response? Might help it to come back out? All other corals look fine?
Yes I have tried spot feeding the large Goni these: “Gonipower”& “BeneReef”. All other corals (Toadstool Leathers, other Gonipora, Hammers, Alveopora, etc.) look very good. All other corals show good feeding response, coral, extension.
 
Maybe it’s just in “self preservation mode” I’d keep target feeding when you can and give it time.

Do you do any type of trace dosing? Regular water changes? I know goni’s like nutrients, but they also are a little more sensitive to some trace elements being depleted. I think it’s iron and manganese but don’t quote me on that...
 
Checked it this afternoon. It is just barely showing polyps peeking out a little. It did show feeding response this afternoon. Hopefully it will start to come around. Good idea on trace dosing. I test normal parameters at home but I will send off tank sample to check trace results (as well as check my home test results against theirs).
Thank you for the help! I appreciate it.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 2 25.0%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 1 12.5%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 2 25.0%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 3 37.5%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new