Good alternative to a yellow tang

Fr0stguard

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 7, 2017
Messages
44
Reaction score
43
What state or country do you live in
Texas
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

Im looking for a good alternative that is yellow and peaceful and roughly the same size as a 3-4in yellow tang.

Mine has got to go since I've discovered he's the killer of my green wrasse, female lyretail, royal gramma and line spot flasher. He's going up and tail smacking fish in the face with his spine for no reason.

I was thinking something like a lemon peel angel but I didn't know if I add him will my coral beauty get upset? What do you guys think
 
Lemon peel mimick seems to be much more peaceful, only thing is they do change color as they mature and eventually lose that yellow.
 
You might just remove the guy and put in a small yellow tang. The notion being is you got a cranky yellow. Yellow tangs need about a four foot tank and something like 90 to 120 gallons. Fish can get real aggressive if put in a small tank. The lemon peel is a good idea. A Kole tang would work also.
 
I find that about 99% of the time all yellow tangs eventually become buttheads, just the way it goes, the mimic is a completely different fish IME.
Koles IME are somewhere in the middle as this goes
I do agree tank size is a factor, not such an issue in a very large tank but that is mainly because there is just more room for fish to avoid them.
 
What about a yellow (crysus) wrasse? Brilliant yellow, cheap, mostly reef safe, and very peaceful.
 
Yo could de a mimic
I have 6 yellow on my 265 and they still chase each other with the purple tang
But I guess is part of nature
Make shore you get a acrylic trap box or an egg crate and let the mimic stay there for couple of days so the yellow getbuse to him
 
What size is your tank? That will help us make the best recommendations for a replacement fish.

Do you have/plan corals? What type - soft, LPS, SPS?

There are some peaceful yellow butterflies that might work, depending on answers to the questions above.
 
I have a yellow that is a model citizen buy he is in a six foot tank. I like the bright yellow so I added apair of Yellow Wrasses also. Very active, very colorful and very peaceful.
 
I have a yellow mimic tang, same species as a lemonpeel mimic and I do enjoy him. But be aware they change into a chocolate tang so the bright yellow color does change.
 
Yellow fish that i have are one spot foxface, yellow canary wrasse( need sandbed) and latticed butterfly...all are peaceful. Another option is yellow longnose butterfly, also peaceful
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 8 26.7%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 11 36.7%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 6 20.0%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 10.0%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 9 30.0%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 7 23.3%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 16.7%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 30.0%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 16.7%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 16.7%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 7 23.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new