Good ATO for 200G mixed reef tank?

Albertan22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice setup. By the way you have a bubble magus curve 9 i think which is what im putting in mine, how high do you have yours in your sump?
The skimmer is in 9 inches of water but it is actually a Curve 7, this tank is a recent upgrade from my old 120 gallon tank and I just kept the skimmer. I may upgrade it later once I stock the new tank heavier but the whole Covid situation has led to a fish shortage in my area so I barely have enough fish in the tank right now to get detectable nutrients. I’m actually only running the skimmer 12 hours per day at the moment.

OP
OP
Reefrookie733

Reefrookie733

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The skimmer is in 9 inches of water but it is actually a Curve 7, this tank is a recent upgrade from my old 120 gallon tank and I just kept the skimmer. I may upgrade it later once I stock the new tank heavier but the whole Covid situation has led to a fish shortage in my area so I barely have enough fish in the tank right now to get detectable nutrients. I’m actually only running the skimmer 12 hours per day at the moment.
That stinks that you can't get fish or they've upped the prices so much, hopefully they will get back to normal soon.

Why do you only run the skimmer 12 hours?

sharpimage

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ato outlet can go into the dt, but most have it dump into the sump.

It is not great to have your rodi system tied into your ato. Most have a reservoir and fill that weekly or as needed. Then pump fron the reservoir into the tank.

I like tunze ato

OP
OP
Reefrookie733

Reefrookie733

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does not work with a VDM module as it is not a 0-10v variable speed/dimming device. If you do not own a BoB, you can order the one wired with the I/O cable and plug it into the I/O port on the Apex head unit that you would normally plug a BoB into.

Programming for the ATO pump outlet would be as simple as...

Fallback OFF
Set OFF
If SW1 OPEN Then ON

For an added level of redundancy based upon salinity levels, this is of course after you properly calibrate your conductivity probe, you can add the line...

If Condx1 < 31.0 Then OFF
Holy crap...theres more than one BoB? killing me! lol

I haven't done any programming thus far so event the simplest "fallback if everything fails" is greek to me. I will have to take those episodes of BRS TV verrrrrrrryy slowly! lol But i will refer back to this once i set up the ATO on there

ok...went back and looked at the BoB and theres only one type. YOu were referring to how it connects to the main box. Got it! Unfortunately everyone seems to be out of them at the moment!

Last edited:

Albertan22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That stinks that you can't get fish or they've upped the prices so much, hopefully they will get back to normal soon.

Why do you only run the skimmer 12 hours?
I was worried that running at 0 Nitrates for too long might result in a dinoflagellate outbreak. I am considering dosing some nitrates but decided to cut back the skimming time to see if I could raise my nitrates a little first.

OP
OP
Reefrookie733

Reefrookie733

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ato outlet can go into the dt, but most have it dump into the sump.

It is not great to have your rodi system tied into your ato. Most have a reservoir and fill that weekly or as needed. Then pump fron the reservoir into the tank.

I like tunze ato
yeah just learned that when i saw alberts pic of his sump. He has a small reservoir on the side and that makes sense cause i have a 55 gallon drum of RO water and dont want all that in my sump or tank at any one time! lol

sharpimage

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah just learned that when i saw alberts pic of his sump. He has a small reservoir on the side and that makes sense cause i have a 55 gallon drum of RO water and dont want all that in my sump or tank at any one time! lol
My tunze ato sits in my 55 gallon drum. Pumps about 20 feet to the tank. No issues in many years

Albertan22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Holy crap...theres more than one BoB? killing me! lol

I haven't done any programming thus far so event the simplest "fallback if everything fails" is greek to me. I will have to take those episodes of BRS TV verrrrrrrryy slowly! lol But i will refer back to this once i set up the ATO on there
The Apex tutorials in the R2R Articles section helped me immensely! You can find the 8 part series buried in here: https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/categories/aquarium-equipment.10/

OP
OP
Reefrookie733

Reefrookie733

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was worried that running at 0 Nitrates for too long might result in a dinoflagellate outbreak. I am considering dosing some nitrates but decided to cut back the skimming time to see if I could raise my nitrates a little first.
Got ya! Your balancing your system with turning down one thing to raise another! Man, im not even close to that point! lol
I don't even have anything in the dang tank yet!

OP
OP
Reefrookie733

Reefrookie733

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tunze ato sits in my 55 gallon drum. Pumps about 20 feet to the tank. No issues in many years
My drums are only about a foot away, not sure that would be a problem. I ordered an apex auto leak detection probe that will at least tell me if water does come out somewhere....i think! lol

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back