good beginner corals?

rocky reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi everyone
i have a 20g tank with an overhang light, a heater, a filter and 2 clowns. i have a large live rock in there and i was wondering which soft corals would do well with low flow? i dont have a flow pump since i never really needed it but if a flow pump is absolutely necessary to have a coral then i'll get one but i figured to ask you all if there's any good softies i can get that will be fine without the pump
i'm also open to some beginner coral advice :)
thanks in advance!

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely going to need some sort of flow for the corals. Doesn’t have to be extremely powerful, but enough to mimic ocean currents.
Gsp, Xenia, leathers, and zoanthids are all super easy.

stovenut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The best beginner corals are corals that are growing out of control in other local reefers tanks. Join a FB group with local reefers and ask if anyone will make you a beginner frag pack of 3 to 5 corals. You can usually get something like that to try for 30 bucks or so.

OP
OP
R

rocky reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely going to need some sort of flow for the corals. Doesn’t have to be extremely powerful, but enough to mimic ocean currents.
Gsp, Xenia, leathers, and zoanthids are all super easy.
i figured that, thank you! do you have any good recommendations for wavemakers on the cheaper side? it's my first tank so i really don't want to go full out yet incase i decide to upgrade, resulting in the need for a more powerful/expensive wavemaker

OP
OP
R

rocky reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The best beginner corals are corals that are growing out of control in other local reefers tanks. Join a FB group with local reefers and ask if anyone will make you a beginner frag pack of 3 to 5 corals. You can usually get something like that to try for 30 bucks or so.
thank you! i had no clue about fb groups for this type of stuff, i guess theres a group for everything lol

SchrutesReefs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s cheap? To be honest everyone has their limits. You could get a tunze nano stream for around $55 on amazon. Great brand that will last. You could get a jebao off Amazon for around $45. It will also last, but most likely not as long as the Tunze

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i figured that, thank you! do you have any good recommendations for wavemakers on the cheaper side? it's my first tank so i really don't want to go full out yet incase i decide to upgrade, resulting in the need for a more powerful/expensive wavemaker
I am running the sicce voyager 2000 for my 40B, in a 20 the voyager 1000 would work - it’s not super cheap but pretty inexpensive for a powerhead.

OP
OP
R

rocky reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say easiest soft coral are Green star polys, kenya trees, and mushrooms. Tbh not sure about flow but its better to get a wavemaker for flow to help with algae buildup and just general health.

Some general advice take it slow with coral.
thank you! i was thinking about getting a gsp frag to start after i get some type of flow going & yeah i'll have to control myself before i end up buying every single coral at my LFS lol

OP
OP
R

rocky reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s cheap? To be honest everyone has their limits. You could get a tunze nano stream for around $55 on amazon. Great brand that will last. You could get a jebao off Amazon for around $45. It will also last, but most likely not as long as the Tunze
definitely something under $80 fits my budget right now so the tunze nano stream sounds like a good fit, i've seen lots of good reviews so far. thank you for the advice! so excited to get some flow going so i can add some corals :)

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 88 87.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.0%
Back