Good Clean up Crew

fishnoob~noclue

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Folks,

Got myself a Halloween Crab as the first member of a clean up crew, I am aware there is not much for him to clean up. But generally asking what would be a good mix of inverts to make a solid clean up crew, or does this depend on the number of fish in the tank? 250 litre red sea Reefer.

16989449738362224917053935965200.jpg

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
personally I add them as needed.

Honestly I would suggest to invest in more rock and another power head before adding more livestock. It’s a good start, But not yet suitable for too much livestock.
I'll second the more rock as well, for a 250 liter tank you can add more rock in there and it would be alright for a tank that size.

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Folks,

Got myself a Halloween Crab as the first member of a clean up crew, I am aware there is not much for him to clean up. But generally asking what would be a good mix of inverts to make a solid clean up crew, or does this depend on the number of fish in the tank? 250 litre red sea Reefer.

16989449738362224917053935965200.jpg
Ditto on more rock! Probably a lot more. I would try for a balance of half base rock, and half live rock. Is that live sand?

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Make sure to feed your hermit (and I hope you meant Halloween hermit crab, as regular Halloween crabs don't do well in reef tanks) regularly until he has more to eat. Hermits are mostly a novelty animal that can also clean up some scraps of food, though ideally you don't want to have a lot of scraps that need to be cleaned up.

You absolutely need more rock. Ocean live rock would be an excellent pickup. If the price is intimidating, you can go with mostly dry rock and either a 10-lb live rock package from KP Aquatics or a Treasure Chest box from Tampa Bay Saltwater, as those will bring in a fair bit of biodiversity at a much lower price.

I like cerith snails as an all-round algae/detritus eater. Can't go wrong with a bunch of ceriths, once you actually have algae for them to eat. A tuxedo urchin is a good algae-eater, and entertaining to watch, though he will move very small frags around.

OP
OP
F

fishnoob~noclue

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
personally I add them as needed.

Honestly I would suggest to invest in more rock and another power head before adding more livestock. It’s a good start, But not yet suitable for too much livestock.
Thanks Mr Mojo.

Regarding the rock morw is ready to enter the tank.

What wave maker would be best two provide 2 lots of flow and if so any recommendations?

OP
OP
F

fishnoob~noclue

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure to feed your hermit (and I hope you meant Halloween hermit crab, as regular Halloween crabs don't do well in reef tanks) regularly until he has more to eat. Hermits are mostly a novelty animal that can also clean up some scraps of food, though ideally you don't want to have a lot of scraps that need to be cleaned up.

You absolutely need more rock. Ocean live rock would be an excellent pickup. If the price is intimidating, you can go with mostly dry rock and either a 10-lb live rock package from KP Aquatics or a Treasure Chest box from Tampa Bay Saltwater, as those will bring in a fair bit of biodiversity at a much lower price.

I like cerith snails as an all-round algae/detritus eater. Can't go wrong with a bunch of ceriths, once you actually have algae for them to eat. A tuxedo urchin is a good algae-eater, and entertaining to watch, though he will move very small frags around.
Thanks Tired, do you reckon hermit crab would kill a Cerith Snail for their shell?

Mhamilton0911

BitterSalty
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Halloween hermit will only prefer one type of shell, and will usually only kill a snail for the shell, so basically only strawberry/Fighting conch snails would be at risk.

Your tank is brand spanking new. Nothing for any clean up crew to eat. I'd wait until there is a need before stocking your cuc. Add them for what you see a need for. If you see a type of algea, identify it, and research the snail/hermit that likes it. Go from there.

OP
OP
F

fishnoob~noclue

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Halloween hermit will only prefer one type of shell, and will usually only kill a snail for the shell, so basically only strawberry/Fighting conch snails would be at risk.

Your tank is brand spanking new. Nothing for any clean up crew to eat. I'd wait until there is a need before stocking your cuc. Add them for what you see a need for. If you see a type of algea, identify it, and research the snail/hermit that likes it. Go from there.
Thanks bud that's a great idea, really appreciate the comment.

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah that's live sand in there
once you get your rocks squared away, there is a website called Reef Cleaners, check them out, they have several different packages based on tank size, etc. They will be MUCH cheaper than trying to go in and purchase individually. I asked about the lived sand because that will supply you with some good bacteria, but you really need some live rock as well.

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Halloween hermits only target cone snails and conchs for their shells, yeah. Also, they get much larger than ceriths. Make sure you have plenty of empty shells available for yours.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Mr Mojo.

Regarding the rock morw is ready to enter the tank.

What wave maker would be best two provide 2 lots of flow and if so any recommendations?
Your rocks should be close to a pound per gallon. For example if you have a 40 gallon tank, should be about 35-45 pounds of rock on the tank.

Most important, when you finally add the rocks, the tank will cycle again. So don’t add livestock until you add the rocks and they cycle. Or else any living thing will suffer and possibly die.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 23 14.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 94 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.7%
Back