Good group fish

Indytraveler83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not neccisarily looking for a "school" of fish. On a recent snorkeling trip in Mexico, one thing that stood out to me is that sergeant majors outnumbered other fish 8 to 1 in many areas. These guys are interesting on their own, but make the Tangs and wrasse feel even more special when you see them.

I'm looking to get a similar effect for a future build, and am looking for a fish I can get a large group of that are entirely reef safe, will exist well in a group, and won't be jerks. I'm also hoping for something that has as small an impact on bioload as possible.

Chromis would be my first choice, but I read they frequently kill each other off. I'm thinking Talbot or yellow tail damsels would do best? Any other suggestions?

EmilyXLC

Charisma +10
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What other fish are you planning on stocking?

OP
OP
Indytraveler83

Indytraveler83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What other fish are you planning on stocking?

Not entirely set, but my existing tank will migrate into there, which has clowns, bar gobies, Cardinals and flasher wrasse. I'm a huge wrasse fan, so more wrasse are likely, and I'd like to get at least one or two slightly larger fish, like a small Tang or something.

Angel_Anthias lover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not so far, mostly due to size/bioload and it seems like people have horrible luck keeping them alive. Are these perceptions wrong?

Depends on the species, dispar, ignitus, randalls anthias are less likely for this to occur with randalls being slightly harder to keep

Haydn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chromis can still be your first choice just look beyond the 'standard' green, there are a multitude of others -Vandervelts (if you are planning a 'quiet tank), Retrofaciatus, Agillis will give you a good starting point for research, there are loads of them waiting to be discovered.
Fusilier damsels (Lepidozygus tapeinosoma) are excellent, peaceful group fish (if you can find them) and cheap.
Anthias are fine but will need a lot of feeding in a group, so the bioload may not be that small.

OP
OP
Indytraveler83

Indytraveler83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chromis can still be your first choice just look beyond the 'standard' green, there are a multitude of others -Vandervelts (if you are planning a 'quiet tank), Retrofaciatus, Agillis will give you a good starting point for research, there are loads of them waiting to be discovered.
Fusilier damsels (Lepidozygus tapeinosoma) are excellent, peaceful group fish (if you can find them) and cheap.
Anthias are fine but will need a lot of feeding in a group, so the bioload may not be that small.

Interesting options on the chromis. Looking online LA lists them fairly high in price, but I wonder if one of my lfs can get them in cheaper, especially if I want a group of 10 or 12.

Good point on the anthias. They are very cool fish, but I feel like they need more special care, and while I'm looking for a group fish, I need something that fits the system I'm planning, and not the other way around. Especially the bioload of 10-12 of them may be more than I'm wanting. 2" chromis or damsels fit the bill a little better.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How large will the tank be? Size has a material bearing on how well groups will coexist. Tough to get a stable group of anthias, and it gets expensive. I keep individuals but gave up on larger groups. Chromis, particularly the green, have similar issues though not as expensive. I don’t personally think they’re worth it given propensity for uronema. Leaves you with damsels. Choose correctly, with adequate space for them to stake out their micro territories, and they’re the best choice IME. I have a mix of yellow tails, azures, Talbots and rollands in my 450 ... about 60 of them at last count.

OP
OP
Indytraveler83

Indytraveler83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How large will the tank be? Size has a material bearing on how well groups will coexist. Tough to get a stable group of anthias, and it gets expensive. I keep individuals but gave up on larger groups. Chromis, particularly the green, have similar issues though not as expensive. I don’t personally think they’re worth it given propensity for uronema. Leaves you with damsels. Choose correctly, with adequate space for them to stake out their micro territories, and they’re the best choice IME. I have a mix of yellow tails, azures, Talbots and rollands in my 450 ... about 60 of them at last count.

The plan is likely a 90 or 120 gallon. I'm limited to a 4ft tank unfortunately, but nothing on this design is set in stone yet. Unlike my last system, I'm trying to plan everything before getting started.

mshur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow, 60 of them... Dont they fights?

jp_75

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
anthias
chromis
yellow/blue damsel
zebra barred dartfish
blue eyed cardinals

jp_75

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you could even put 3 chalk basslets. just make sure you add them same time.

GoldeneyeRet

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fusilier damsels fit your criteria I think.

OP
OP
Indytraveler83

Indytraveler83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Little update:

Turns out to be a 90 gallon, and while I know I said "small bioload" I struggle to keep nitrates readable in a system that's supposed to be lps focused. So...

One of my lfs had a male lyretail anthias with 3 females that had been in shop for about 3 weeks. He doesn't like keeping fish that long, so offered me a deal if I bought the group. So I did...

They are in QT with a Gold Midas Blenny I've been hunting for forever. All of them have a pink/orange tint to them, so I'm hopeful they will make it through QT and do well!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 98 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back