Good price?

bvanfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking at a used 10 gallon tank from innovative marine, heater, a1 prime 16hd light and arm sand and rock and water for $450 is this a good deal? I am new to the hobby and not sure if it’s a deal or not. Might buy tomorrow morning let me know asap!

Gatorpa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking at a used 10 gallon tank from innovative marine, heater, a1 prime 16hd light and arm sand and rock and water for $450 is this a good deal? I am new to the hobby and not sure if it’s a deal or not. Might buy tomorrow morning let me know asap!
Seems pretty steep for that size tank.

OP
OP
bvanfish

bvanfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does come with sand and rock and built in filter. I see the innovative 10 gal at 266 on their website.

jDoSe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yah, this sounds terrible...just look up the retail prices....

brand new 15 gal IM - 99$
IM helio heater - 99$
AI Prime HD 16 - 250$
AI arm mount - 40$

Total - 488$ and the healer you get is probably worse and cheaper than the helio...
It's also getting close to black friday, so probably knock 15% off some items. Plus buying yourself you get to pick your light and your heater...

If their price was halved, I'd still pass.

OP
OP
bvanfish

bvanfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yah, this sounds terrible...just look up the retail prices....

brand new 15 gal IM - 99$
IM helio heater - 99$
AI Prime HD 16 - 250$
AI arm mount - 40$

Total - 488$ and the healer you get is probably worse and cheaper than the helio...
It's also getting close to black friday, so probably knock 15% off some items. Plus buying yourself you get to pick your light and your heater...
But that would not include rock sand water etc. but fair point so maybe get my own?

OP
OP
bvanfish

bvanfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water is almost nothing.

Pick you own live rock from LFS and you can chose the style you want.

just my op
No I appreciate it. Maybe I’ll try to piece it together myself. It seemed all together not too bad. Looks brand new and at tge LFS so they may take care of me with deals etc

Gatorpa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The great thing about wanting to buy a whole setup is if you are patient and willing to wait you can usually find someone who is just trying to get rid of their whole setup for incredibly cheap.
And often you can get a big system, I never suggest a small tank for starting out.
I did it and it worked fine but it was a clue that a bigger system would be sustainable with less effort.

jDoSe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But that would not include rock sand water etc. but fair point so maybe get my own?
If you want the used tank for the water, you are NOT ready for a saltwater aquarium. You need to do more research.
The sand and rock is almost worthless. The tank is so small you can buy dry special grade reef sand for less than 10$ and then pick out some rocks you want from a lfs, or order some online. You don't need very much...I would strart out completely fresh anyway, who knows the status of the tank or what he dosed...

OP
OP
bvanfish

bvanfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And often you can get a big system, I never suggest a small tank for starting out.
I did it and it worked fine but it was a clue that a bigger system would be sustainable with less effort.
I am new to it so I don’t really want a lot. Few clowns shrimp easy coral will keep me happy for a long time. So I thought smaller to keep down costs

jDoSe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am new to it so I don’t really want a lot. Few clowns shrimp easy coral will keep me happy for a long time. So I thought smaller to keep down costs
Smaller keeps costs down, but is harder keep stable. Keep in mind these are living animals you are trying to keep. They take very specialized care. If you don't know why a small tank is more difficult than a larger one, you need to do more research before you buy anything.

OP
OP
bvanfish

bvanfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Smaller keeps costs down, but is harder keep stable. Keep in mind these are living animals you are trying to keep. They take very specialized care. If you don't know why a small tank is more difficult than a larger one, you need to do more research before you buy anything.
I for sure understand the differences of the two and the faster swings and issues a small tank can have. Was asking about a package not big vs small

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There was a member on here who was trying to sell his Red Sea max S400 along with a couple of pumps, skimmers, reactors, heaters, t5 lights, etc but kept getting people who said they wanted it but would always back out after committing. He eventually got fed up with it and sold it all for a just a few hundred dollars. There are same great deals to be had if patient. That tank sure does look good in my house.

Attachments

• 0392892B-7425-49FE-AA81-C793925F5F84.jpeg
    0392892B-7425-49FE-AA81-C793925F5F84.jpeg
    113.8 KB · Views: 16

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 37.0%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.1%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back