Good return pump for MAX E 170 aoi?

BraindeadBiologist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a red sea max e 170 and have a love hate relationship with the rear sump aoi design. My biggest gripe is that in order to alter the flow of the return pump I have to take out the sponge, unscrew the pipe, pull the pump out, adjust the know with no real indication of what each click actually changes, put it all back together turn it on and determine if the flow is good. If not what I wanted then I have to do it all over again. Is there a controllable return pump that will fit the very small return pump chamber (slightly less than 6" in length and 4" in width)?

Brian E

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coming in late, but I bought an Innovative Marine Mighty Jet DC Return Pump (Midsize: 538 GPH) for my E170. I like it a lot more than the stock pump. The Mighty Jet fits, is controllable and very quiet.

OP
OP
BraindeadBiologist

BraindeadBiologist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coming in late, but I bought an Innovative Marine Mighty Jet DC Return Pump (Midsize: 538 GPH) for my E170. I like it a lot more than the stock pump. The Mighty Jet fits, is controllable and very quiet.
Better late than never! How is the flow compared to the stock pump?

Brian E

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably comparable, maybe a little less flow. Both had more flow than I wanted for the return pump, so I ended up running the new pump at about 50%.

OP
OP
BraindeadBiologist

BraindeadBiologist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably comparable, maybe a little less flow. Both had more flow than I wanted for the return pump, so I ended up running the new pump at about 50%.
Thanks I appreciate it, the lack of control is annoying with the AOI

DiabloJP

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hiya!

Seeing if I can resurrect this thread momentarily for an update -- the lack of control for the return pump in the e170 is driving me crazy... how did the IM Mighty Jet 538 work out long term?

OP
OP
BraindeadBiologist

BraindeadBiologist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hiya!

Seeing if I can resurrect this thread momentarily for an update -- the lack of control for the return pump in the e170 is driving me crazy... how did the IM Mighty Jet 538 work out long term?
Game. Changer. Best money I've spent on upgrades for this tank

Back