Good sand vac?

Bombschell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have that really fine sand substrate and the sand vac I have is too strong. It sucks up a bucket full of sand along with the water and everything else. Then I have to put the sand back and it makes a huge mess. Any ideas or products that y'all suggest?

LiveFreeAndReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually just hover the gravel vac over the sand at a bit of an angle. You could also pinch the hose to reduce the pressure so you're not sucking up a ton of sand

takitaj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try the Python 2" x 24" & cut it down to fit your tank. The longer it is the less sand goes down the drain. If you have 1/2" tubing you're all set.

Coxey81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I do that, I was just wondering if there was something I was missing that would work better....lol

If you are using a siphon system like python you can slow it down by turning the water down at the sink so it's not sucking as hard with the t valve. You can also regulate it with a valve on the handle.

I had the opposite issue. I couldn't get it to pick my sand up at all and pull debris out of the tube (would just float in it).

So I made a vaccum with a wide mouth but only 1 inch solid clear pvc pipe.

Coxey81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think i'll just rig up a ball valve so I can adjust the flow on the fly. Lowes here I come I guess

Good luck, all I found were metal ones for hose thread at lowes... ordered my plastic one on Amazon.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 33 52.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 35 55.6%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 13 20.6%
  • None.

Votes: 14 22.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 7.9%
Back