good way to use activated carbon?

lazycouch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey everyone, attached is an image of how the back of my tank looks like (built in sump 30g total) and i was thinking of adding a filter sock/mesh bag of activated carbon on top of the porcelain rings you see there. i was wondering if anyone has had success using a filter sock/mesh bag for your activated carbon? i was doing some research and saw it’s more of a “passive” type of filtration which is not entirely effective but this area does have good water flow so i want to know if someone has done this with noticeable results? otherwise i‘ll just try it out and hope for the best! thanks (my goal is to help with extra filtration since there seems to be room for more media above the rings + maintain clear, blue water) and ido not have room for a reactor or hob filter but will definitely make room somehow for a filter if deemed necessary.

F3906C42-07CF-416B-8A2F-427A7E675D69.jpeg

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think most people, certainly myself, just have activated carbon in a media bag in the sump and I change it around every 4 weeks.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you really want it to work well, it needs to go into a reactor with a pump. Putting it in a bag is OK for passive use.

LeadHead83

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There lots of ways to use Activated Carbon

1. Reactor
2. small internal powered filter sat in the sump
3. Use a filter bag and hang it in the sump

In an all in one the water will flow through the chambers in the back of the system and a simple filter bag will get you same result as an reactor. I've always put my activated carbon in the last chamber before the return to tank that way the filter bag doesn't become blocked with detritus this allows the rest of the filtration to remove the solids and you get better results from using the Activated Carbon this way.

Just remember to replace it every 4/6 weeks

Last edited:
OP
OP
lazycouch

lazycouch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

1. Reactor

In an all in one the water will flow through the chambers in the back of the system and a simple filter bag will get you same result as an reactor. I've always put my activated carbon in the last chamber before the return to tank that way the filter bag doesn't become blocked with detritus this allows the rest of the filtration to remove the solids and you get better results from using the Activated Carbon this way.

good idea. may i see a picture of how you have yours? did you just get a suction cup and place it right above your pump?

OP
OP
lazycouch

lazycouch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

1. Reactor

something like this?

EE12DB38-CFA7-4364-A3AF-7066B96CC665.jpeg

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 75 86.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.4%
Back