Goodnight Hewbie!

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sleepover with Hewbie tonight since I was on vacation and I missed him. I decided to sleep in front of his tank. We watched Avatar 2 for the first time and Hewbie enjoyed it. Sadly while I was gone he didn’t get much stimulation and glass surfed A LOT. This caused his wound to get bigger. Now that I’m home and he doesn’t glass surf when there’s stimulation going on in his environment I hope it heals and now that I can continue to treat him. He’s behaving normally and eating. The one wound healed and the other got worse from rubbing up against the glass. I put a camera on his tank and watched him do this for hours this past week but it stops when someone like me is in the room or there’s activity near his tank. I thought about putting the TV on for him that way he isn’t obsessed with his reflection and has something to watch lol.
IMG_2114.jpeg
IMG_2082.jpeg

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@Jay Hemdal @vetteguy53081 So you know how I said I believed this was bacterial? Could this be HLLE instead? He is behaving and acting completely normal. Definitely from the glass but other than looking bad it’s not affecting him whatsoever. I wonder because I tried medication for bacterial disease/kanaplex and it didn’t help. I know/believe it’s made worse by rubbing against the glass. And part of it healed but for reference this was a week ago. I’m a bit perplexed only because I’ve had him since February and this has only recently become an noticeable issue as he has always had a bit of a tendency to glass surf made worse when no one is in the room but never had any marks on him like these. Also I had someone soak his food in Selcon and garlic while I was away.
IMG_2085.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It’s also worth noting that there are low levels of cooper in the water I will be doing a large water change and running carbon etc. to get rid of it although I know it may take some time but I know it may also be a cause/not helping. I would’ve taken action sooner if I hadn’t been away. The person caring for my wet pets and feeding them over this past week can only do so much especially since they aren’t hobbyists/don’t know what to look for or do. Despite me leaving very detailed instructions and videos I also don’t expect a friend doing a favor to do everything that I would normally do.

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
@Jay Hemdal @vetteguy53081 So you know how I said I believed this was bacterial? Could this be HLLE instead? He is behaving and acting completely normal. Definitely from the glass but other than looking bad it’s not affecting him whatsoever. I wonder because I tried medication for bacterial disease/kanaplex and it didn’t help. I know/believe it’s made worse by rubbing against the glass. And part of it healed but for reference this was a week ago. I’m a bit perplexed only because I’ve had him since February and this has only recently become an noticeable issue as he has always had a bit of a tendency to glass surf made worse when no one is in the room but never had any marks on him like these. Also I had someone soak his food in Selcon and garlic while I was away.
IMG_2085.jpeg
While any fish can have vitamin deficiencies and HLLE, it is not common for this fish and the area has not changed and still appears as an infected post-wound. Seachem Kanaplex or Maracyn 2 should have cleaned this up. With HLLE, if it were even close, providing a good diet and water quality should have alleviated this. Kanaplex is easily absorbed by fish and would have been effective.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_2085.jpeg

I've never seen HLLE in this species (my way of saying they don't get that). The second picture down is pretty clear, it is a rub mark - the way it looks around the edges. As I think I may have mentioned, I usually see these on the mouth, but I think any prominent point of the can show these marks with repeated rubbing.

The copper is a red herring, not related to this at all. There *could* be an infection-related issue. Any time there is a break in a fish's skin, there is the chance for infection.

Jay

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
While any fish can have vitamin deficiencies and HLLE, it is not common for this fish and the area has not changed and still appears as an infected post-wound. Seachem Kanaplex or Maracyn 2 should have cleaned this up. With HLLE, if it were even close, providing a good diet and water quality should have alleviated this. Kanaplex is easily absorbed by fish and would have been effective.
Thank you!

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've never seen HLLE in this species (my way of saying they don't get that). The second picture down is pretty clear, it is a rub mark - the way it looks around the edges. As I think I may have mentioned, I usually see these on the mouth, but I think any prominent point of the can show these marks with repeated rubbing.

The copper is a red herring, not related to this at all. There *could* be an infection-related issue. Any time there is a break in a fish's skin, there is the chance for infection.

Jay
Thank you!

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get that fish some toys! I found a suggestion that they like ping pong balls. Also apparently it makes them really happy when you change up the rock scape and vary the lighting. This video has a few suggestions for toys and training your puffer! (the sunglasses one would be pretty dope)

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Get that fish some toys! I found a suggestion that they like ping pong balls. Also apparently it makes them really happy when you change up the rock scape and vary the lighting. This video has a few suggestions for toys and training your puffer! (the sunglasses one would be pretty dope)

Thanks! I’ve been looking for ideas. I do know about the scape.

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

I got him some ping pong balls and well he tried to eat them which is typical Hewbie behavior lol!

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 17 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 38 17.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 145 66.8%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 5.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.8%
Back