Goodtimes with a Reefer 750XXL - $20k Dreamtank

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@goodtimes did you watch BRS Tv yesterday about UVs? I have been thinking about one on my 750 I agree if set up "right" after your fallow time I believe it can help reduce the risk and give to clear water to boot. I will be under skimming ( gotta use what I have) but also running a big ATS to make up for it. and that can yellow the water so UV 24/7 + carbon time to time I hope will give me crystal clear water. I know the onces BRS sale pentar get good reviews but I wounder about pond UV from ebay you can get a 55W for $150ish

now to QT or not to QT...that is the question.
if you are gonna do it you have to QT everything wet. every CUC, frag, shrimp and fish . it's totally doable but dang one slip up and bamm...
one way I thought of doing it was ( and not 100% sure it would work ) but would get my CUC and a tons of corals like 1K and run them in the tank fallow for the 72 days while QTing a batch of fish. then take a break for a few months then qt nothing batch of fish then some corals.

in your case you could get a ton of corals at once. me my wallet crying just thinking about it. haha

OP
OP
goodtimes

goodtimes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Devaji
That’s a good idea about adding the coral first. My issue is once I stock fish I’m kinda set on them unless something dies. You can only have so many. Corals on the other hand you can always find room for. So every frag swap I’d want to add something.
Your right though, I’ve read several post about cuc or frags bringing a disease in. I know I’d screw up somewhere and ruin all the hard work. Which is where the uv might give a little extra protection.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Devaji
That’s a good idea about adding the coral first. My issue is once I stock fish I’m kinda set on them unless something dies. You can only have so many. Corals on the other hand you can always find room for. So every frag swap I’d want to add something.
Your right though, I’ve read several post about cuc or frags bringing a disease in. I know I’d screw up somewhere and ruin all the hard work. Which is where the uv might give a little extra protection.

yes there in lies the problem....I feel yea brother

blackizzz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A good read so far! Sorry to hear about your fish troubles, but looks to be a great start to a beautiful reef nonetheless!
Following and can't wait for more updates! :D

OP
OP
goodtimes

goodtimes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A good read so far! Sorry to hear about your fish troubles, but looks to be a great start to a beautiful reef nonetheless!
Following and can't wait for more updates! :D
Thanks, looking back on it I feel like I got too excited and rushed the setup. I was patient with the cycle though! There’s going to be some changes made soon. I really need to organize.

OP
OP
goodtimes

goodtimes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got 4-MP40qd and can’t keep the sand in place. I knew this would be an issue but I’ve always enjoyed the look of a shallow sand bed so I went with it. Another problem is the junk that collects in the sand. I used to always just vacuum the sandbed and nothing built up in it. Automatic water changes are a great tool but i got lazy and solely relied on them. This meant I wasn’t cleaning the sand bed. While the tanks fallow I’m planning on some changes. I am considering removing the sand but that means a diversity of critters I’ve always enjoyed are not possible to keep. Decisions!

Last edited:

roberthu526

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Turn the flow down a little. I have four MP60s and four MP40s in my 300G and sand doesn’t move much and SPS are growing.

GBRsouth

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got 4-MP40qd and can’t keep the sand in place. I knew this would be an issue but I’ve always enjoyed the look of a shallow sand bed so I went with it. Another problem is the junk that collects in the sand. I used to always just vacuum the sandbed and nothing built up in it. Automatic water changes are a great tool but i got lazy and solely relied on them. This meant I wasn’t cleaning the sand bed. While the tanks fallow I’m planning on some changes. I am considering removing the sand but that means a diversity of critters I’ve always enjoyed are not possible to keep. Decisions!

You can vaccuum your sand bed without doing a water change. Clamp the other end of your siphon hose into a filter sock in your sump. The waste collects in the filter sock and the water returns to your system. Then change out the filter sock.

Congratulations on winning your system and I hope all goes well with your fish in future.

OP
OP
goodtimes

goodtimes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can vaccuum your sand bed without doing a water change. Clamp the other end of your siphon hose into a filter sock in your sump. The waste collects in the filter sock and the water returns to your system. Then change out the filter sock.

Congratulations on winning your system and I hope all goes well with your fish in future.
That’s a good idea, sometimes you overlook the obvious. Thanks

TheBeardedReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats again on the tank! I truly enjoyed reading through the 16 pages of posts on this thread and can’t wait to see what comes. One thing I’d love to hear more about is the floor reinforcements that you added for the tank. I know that you briefly mentioned adding floor jacks in the crawl space but I’d really like to hear more about how you came to that approach? Did you get advice from an engineer or just self over engineer the supports? The reason I ask is because in the next couple of years I too will be moving and the plan right now is to setup a 750xxl (or something similar I’m size) and I want to start my planning now so that I’ll be ready to hit the ground running after we move in.

Sethm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on fluffing the sand. I’ve been doing that for about a month and have noticed an improvement

link81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i tend to stick my arm in with a nylon brush i use. whenever i'm done brushing off the algae bits from the rock, i shove it in the sand, and mix it all up. helps turn it over, and also keeps my pistol shrimp busy.

OP
OP
goodtimes

goodtimes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Billy Pipes on YouTube just fluffs up his sand with a turkey baster every few days. He has the nicest sand bed I’ve seen
+1 on fluffing the sand. I’ve been doing that for about a month and have noticed an improvement
i tend to stick my arm in with a nylon brush i use. whenever i'm done brushing off the algae bits from the rock, i shove it in the sand, and mix it all up. helps turn it over, and also keeps my pistol shrimp busy.
Thanks for the ideas, I’ll try them out. Just had my turkey Bastet out blowing off the rocks.

Matt Carden

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@goodtimes did you hear the news about the XXXL750s? I am sure you have by now but just in case you have not, might want to look into it. red Sea admits there defective. and will be senting out a "fix" for sagging stands causing seam failure.
This is why I built my own. I don't have a red sea.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back