OP
goodtimes

goodtimes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have battled high humidity issues in our home for awhile now, I built acrylic lids to see if this helps. I know it cuts down on par but I really like the color of the lights with the lids on. It reminds me of a T5 look.
695DD9B6-00A5-444D-94FA-83E7A7503C0A.jpeg

OP
OP
goodtimes

goodtimes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I’ve got Dino’s? Rock and sand are clear in the morning but covered in stringy snot by evening. I know a uv sterilizer will take care of this but I’m struggling trying to figure out how to plumb one and where to put it.

GBRsouth

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I’ve got Dino’s? Rock and sand are clear in the morning but covered in stringy snot by evening. I know a uv sterilizer will take care of this but I’m struggling trying to figure out how to plumb one and where to put it.

Get a small pump in the tank. A hose from the pump to the uv inlet side and a return hose from the uv outlet side back to the tank direct. Mount the uv so the hoses enter and exit the uv from above it and have the outlet slightly higher than the inlet side to ensure any trapped air blows through.

Plumbing direct to the tank and not through the sump works more effectively as that is where most dinos will be free floating during darkness. So make sure the uv is on during darkness hours when the dinos are free floating.

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Major bummer! Did they not send you the retrofit kit? This was a major known issue with that tank a few years back. I hope they take care of you. So sorry

Manny’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Having gone through this myself only a year ago, I’m very sorry to hear. Let me share that I immediately told myself was done with the hobby. I swore I was. Then about a month later, after cleanup and letting it all sink in, I realized I couldn’t stay away from the hobby.

long story short, insurance took care of me and actually put me in a better position that I was in when it burst.

OP
OP
goodtimes

goodtimes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having gone through this myself only a year ago, I’m very sorry to hear. Let me share that I immediately told myself was done with the hobby. I swore I was. Then about a month later, after cleanup and letting it all sink in, I realized I couldn’t stay away from the hobby.

long story short, insurance took care of me and actually put me in a better position that I was in when it burst.
Thanks for sharing. I’ve had reef tanks for around 17 years. I know I’ll get another one but I can’t afford one like this. I’ll most likely go back to something around 40-60 gallons. My issue now is what to do with fish, coral and rock. I’m thinking of setting up a stock tank in my garage and hoping for the best. Then wait and see how things go with insurance. It looks like floors need replaced around the tank but this floor isn’t available anymore.

OP
OP
goodtimes

goodtimes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Major bummer! Did they not send you the retrofit kit? This was a major known issue with that tank a few years back. I hope they take care of you. So sorry
I did install the brace they sent. Prior to that I had air pockets or bubbles in the seam a few inches away from where it leaked. RedSea said this was not part of the seal that would cause a leak and not too worry about it. It’s not fun to deal with but things happen.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did install the brace they sent. Prior to that I had air pockets or bubbles in the seam a few inches away from where it leaked. RedSea said this was not part of the seal that would cause a leak and not too worry about it. It’s not fun to deal with but things happen.
I hope you have that in email....

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.7%
Back