Gorgonian question :)

PokeFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all. I have had this gorg for quite some time and its been doing good, but recently ive seen like small poop or dinos attached to it. I wonder if this is an issue. I asked around and they say its normal but this has not happened to this specific gorg before. Although i have been seeing some dinos around the tank lately…

i also wonder if it is because of my cowfish pecking at it that may be bothering it idk
EC5D79E7-70F0-4284-B991-A499FE5BFD6F.jpeg
i really hope this does not spread as i had lost a gorgonian colony before to dinos AD37D9C5-B0C1-48C4-A66E-481F040AFF97.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
May be zooxanthellae. Assure it’s getting good flow

dennis romano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have about a dozen gorgs. Whenever one of mine gets damaged, the same thing as yours happens. It is just algae. Once damaged, it never heals.

OP
OP
PokeFish

PokeFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have about a dozen gorgs. Whenever one of mine gets damaged, the same thing as yours happens. It is just algae. Once damaged, it never heals.
i see. So the cowfish picking at the gorgs mustve damaged it and now algae is growing on it. this shouldnt kill the coral tho right even if the cowfish picks at it occasianolly

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Looking at polyps and overall gorg, they looked stressed. Stress will likely be from algae and any slime in which you see. Flow alleviates this or even use of soft toothbrush. If still unsuccessful, a one minute freshwater dip should also work- Do not use your hands.

dennis romano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i see. So the cowfish picking at the gorgs mustve damaged it and now algae is growing on it. this shouldnt kill the coral tho right even if the cowfish picks at it occasianolly
Correct. If you use a baster to clean it, you will see that the skeleton will be exposed. The algae is growing on the bare spot. If the cowfish continues, you will have more bare spots and the gorg will in time die. Once you have a bald spot, it will never heal.

OP
OP
PokeFish

PokeFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correct. If you use a baster to clean it, you will see that the skeleton will be exposed. The algae is growing on the bare spot. If the cowfish continues, you will have more bare spots and the gorg will in time die. Once you have a bald spot, it will never heal.
ah i see thanks. Is there any way to make the cowfish stop? Maybe feed it more so its full? or will it eat regardless

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back