Gorilla Glue For Sticking Down Corals?

saltwaterlover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m trying to find out which is the best (non expensive) glue to stick down frags and corals to rock. I’ve seen a lot of people use gorilla super glue and say it’s really good but I want to know ur guys opinions because ik it must be reef and fish safe if people are using it and succeeding but I’m just not sure [emoji848]

If anyone uses it or has seen videos of people using it can you share because I’d like to see how people do it with gsg [emoji1303]

This is the one people use.
834a0946bddfbae5bc0b66b6a047b4bd.jpg

Thanks[emoji51]

Sierra_Bravo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m trying to find out which is the best (non expensive) glue to stick down frags and corals to rock. I’ve seen a lot of people use gorilla super glue and say it’s really good but I want to know ur guys opinions because ik it must be reef and fish safe if people are using it and succeeding but I’m just not sure [emoji848]

If anyone uses it or has seen videos of people using it can you share because I’d like to see how people do it with gsg [emoji1303]

Thanks[emoji51]

That is the exact one I use. I like it better than any other brand. The bottle and cap design keep it from clogging the tip and allow you to make use of the entire contents. Use with confidence.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have videos. I have glued a few frags. Simplest description is put a blob on the end of the frag and let it dry a bit, til it skins and then submerge the frag and press the blob onto the live rock and hold it in place until the glue sets and you are done.

If you have a frag plug, put a dot of glue on the plug and a dot on the frag and push them together. Remember not to get your fingers in the way while you hold them in place. let them set 30-60 seconds out of water is ok, and then put them in the tank. If you use too much glue you might get glue sheening off into the tank, so I have a bucket of water that I set my frags in to catch the excess glue.

I hope you caught this on camera, it's the best I can do right now. Basically, it's glue, set in place, and hold. Not rocket science just space aged glue. gl.

Sierra_Bravo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, for hard corals it is MUCH easier to use any type of super glue if you use a little reef epoxy as well. Knead the epoxy into a ball, apply a drop of glue to the frag, and adhere. Then another drop of glue on the bottom of the epoxy ball where it will contact the rock, and push it on the rock in one motion. The epoxy not only helps keep the glue in one place and mold to the rock surface, it also provides surface area for the frag to efficiently encrust and the ability to relocate later a little easier if you have to.

OP
OP
saltwaterlover

saltwaterlover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s what I always use. Haven’t had any problems using it other than skimmer goes crazy for a little bit. I also like to clip the plug off the frag to give the adhesive a little more surface area.

When you say t goes crazy what do you mean exactly ?[emoji23](I’m such a newb)

dferran1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cant beat super glue from the dollar store. (Dollar tree).

I also agree with the above regarding the combo. with epoxy. I use this method for larger frags/ colonies. What I do is first mold the epoxy putty onto the rock work in the desired location, then stick the base of the frag or colony in the desired position. Then remove the coral, and let the epoxy harden. I then use the super glue to glue the base of the frag or colony to this "mold".

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks[emoji51]

Same glue for $30, and almost 2oz of glue. Just bought yesterday.

Screenshot_2019-01-15-07-26-59-1.png

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used dozens of gorilla gel glue above in tanks over the years. Probably over 100, lol. I do not like to use epoxy with it, however what I found works well is to put a dab of glue on your finger, then rub it on the rock where you will put the coral, just takes a little bit and will be covered by the frag. This breaks the glue skin and gets into the nooks of the rock. Then put glue on the coral/frag and set on the spot you just made. Makes it so much easier to get corals to stick on rock.

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used dozens of gorilla gel glue above in tanks over the years. Probably over 100, lol. I do not like to use epoxy with it, however what I found works well is to put a dab of glue on your finger, then rub it on the rock where you will put the coral, just takes a little bit and will be covered by the frag. This breaks the glue skin and gets into the nooks of the rock. Then put glue on the coral/frag and set on the spot you just made. Makes it so much easier to get corals to stick on rock.
Very good idea. Thanks for sharing comrade . I will be trying that technique very soon.

MandM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any of the gel type super glues will work. I have had the best luck with the Two Little Fishies CorAffixPro. I keep it in the fridge and it has lasted a long time. Being refrigerated makes it thicker and that helps with mounting

MandM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any of the gel type super glues will work. I have had the best luck with the Two Little Fishies CorAffixPro. I keep it in the fridge and it has lasted a long time. Being refrigerated makes it thicker and that helps with mounting

tony'stank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use this glue. I usually remove the frag from the plug. I then take some fluval epoxy and mix it. I apply the gorilla glue to both sides of the epoxy. After waiting a minute it press the frag into the glue coated epoxy and then press the epoxy into the rock. Works very well for me

427HISS

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to make sure, but can either glue be applied to wet rock or under water ?

427HISS

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use this glue. I usually remove the frag from the plug. I then take some fluval epoxy and mix it. I apply the gorilla glue to both sides of the epoxy. After waiting a minute it press the frag into the glue coated epoxy and then press the epoxy into the rock. Works very well for me

If the the glue works great, why add the epoxy ?

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 126 59.2%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 62 29.1%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 76 35.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 36 16.9%
  • Other

Votes: 63 29.6%
Back