Got a clam question? We've got you covered right here.

NanaReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Worried today. 2yrs in my tank and my T. Maxima is acting funky. Not open as much as usual. Are they prone to doing this? Nothing bothering it.
ALK 9.3 Calc 430 Mag 1300 Temp 78°
2bbc9cf7e807f3b01c7400577ae0f50a.jpg

Last edited:

Sonam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you secure your clams?
How do you keep them from falling off rocks?
adbddf47c040071aa0d904932520d3a0.jpg

Got a new Derasa today and want to make it happy...

Yuki Rihwa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you secure your clams?
How do you keep them from falling off rocks?
adbddf47c040071aa0d904932520d3a0.jpg

Got a new Derasa today and want to make it happy...
Derasa mostly stay on sand bed, if you want it stay on the rock work then make sure the area is flat and wide enough for it to stay, to turn to get its in comfy mode without falling down.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While freshwater dips work I'd suggest running extra carbon. Read up on freshwater dips before performing one. I've had success with dipping but I also had failures so there's risks involved.

Nart

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question on PAR lighting for a Derasa clam.
I tried searching through the clam forums, but could not find any information.

To Derasa clam owners,
From your personal experiences, what PAR have you found for them to do best under?
I saw from VividAquariums that they recommend 180-300 PAR. I bought my 3" Derasa clam from Petco and it was opened with mantles out under their T5 bulbs.
I have it in my tank under AI Primes HDs, the PAR reading on my sand bed (which is where I keep the Derasa) is about 140'ish PAR, it is also opened fully with mantles out.

It seems like it's happy, but I am just curious of the PAR you guys are keeping yours at.
Thanks,
Ben

levi83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If a clam looks bad and falls off its rock it can’t recover right?

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question on PAR lighting for a Derasa clam.
I tried searching through the clam forums, but could not find any information.

To Derasa clam owners,
From your personal experiences, what PAR have you found for them to do best under?
I saw from VividAquariums that they recommend 180-300 PAR. I bought my 3" Derasa clam from Petco and it was opened with mantles out under their T5 bulbs.
I have it in my tank under AI Primes HDs, the PAR reading on my sand bed (which is where I keep the Derasa) is about 140'ish PAR, it is also opened fully with mantles out.

It seems like it's happy, but I am just curious of the PAR you guys are keeping yours at.
Thanks,
Ben
Should be plenty of light. If the mantle is open and the clam looks healthy I wouldn't be to concerned.

levi83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Typically yes but it depends on the condition of the clam. I wouldn't put it back where it was. If there's adequate lighting I'd leave it be on the bottom of the tank. What type of clam is it?
Blue maxima. It has looked bad for 5 days. My Params and lighting are good. My other one is good. This one looks terrible and ripped away from its perch. There is a wad of its bysal threads left on the rock where it sat. I think it’s a goner but now it’s sitting on the bottom. It might be hermit food tomorrow morning.

pecan2phat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are some of the symptoms or tell tale signs (besides mantle bleaching) that there is too much light for a clam?
I thought I read once that there really isn't too much light for clams in a home aquaria unless your blasting them with 400w MH.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've noticed with too much light a clam can stay closed for longer periods of time. But bleaching is what I'd be looking for. Different species matter too.

pecan2phat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Squamossa, 24" under three XR15 G4 with diffusers (24" is distance from light to clam).
Had the 2.75" clam for 9 weeks now. Originally it was under only 2 XR15s with no diffusers for a 36"x24"x18" tank at the same distance. Then I added a third fixture and then the diffusers. With the 3 fixtures, intensity was set at 75% but after the diffusers, I slowly increased 5% every week until at 100%. (Ecotech stated 25% PAR decrease with these diffusers)
Clam opens fully during the day, incurrent syphon is not overly open, mantle shows very slight movement when open so no overpowering flow hitting the clam directly.
Ca=435ppm, Alk=8.3DKH, Mg=1375ppm, PH=8.1, Temp=77.4, N03=50ppm, P04=.06ppm
My concern is that the clam shows his foot and throws a few thin threads but does not really adhere itself to the flat piece of rock that he is sitting on so every 15 days or so, I need to upright him and the more worrisome concern is that after 9 weeks, I have not seen any new growth on the shell.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't be to worried if the clam looks healthy. That squamosa is on the small side so tipping over is rather easy. It might not be happy in its current location so it won't fully attach. Your parameters seem fine so I'd focus on keeping it stable. Can you post a pic of the little guy.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back