Got a clam question? We've got you covered right here.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It might have been asked before on here but honestly i did not read every comment , will clams move if they are not happy where they are placed ? and does the extension of their mantles give any indication of needing more or less of light , flow , etc .....

i have a 6" maxima that ive had for about 2 weeks , originally had it in the sand but read a lot that these types prefer and are found mostly on rock formations so i moved it higher and onto a rock ledge , its been there and hasnt moved , it also has not released its " strings " to attach yet ? it does react quite well to fish movement and light however the mantle does not not extend to much further out than the outside of the shell , just want to make sure im doing everything i can ?

established tank for 5 years

I have never had a maxima 6" and larger put down attachments. When they are larger they don't do it often so no worries. Clams will move a bit if not happy, but some move even if they are happy (strange critters) and some will not move even if unhappy. Helpful right? In general though if not moving then it's a good sign.

I have not found mantle extension a useful indicator unless you have had it a while and know what is "normal" for the individual. Of course for flow it's easy to tell you don't want the mantle curled over.

Wild.maximas don't open up much, and it's possible a fish is nipping keeping it closed. But too much fussing over it isn't good. If one gets concerned can put a clear container over the clam and see if extension improves then you know something is picking at it.

I do notice when clams get enough light they tend to close up a bit, but to notice you have to know what is normal for the clam.

BOWHUNTER4250

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never had a maxima 6" and larger put down attachments. When they are larger they don't do it often so no worries. Clams will move a bit if not happy, but some move even if they are happy (strange critters) and some will not move even if unhappy. Helpful right? In general though if not moving then it's a good sign.

I have not found mantle extension a useful indicator unless you have had it a while and know what is "normal" for the individual. Of course for flow it's easy to tell you don't want the mantle curled over.

Wild.maximas don't open up much, and it's possible a fish is nipping keeping it closed. But too much fussing over it isn't good. If one gets concerned can put a clear container over the clam and see if extension improves then you know something is picking at it.

I do notice when clams get enough light they tend to close up a bit, but to notice you have to know what is normal for the clam.

very helpful , thanks for the input , i will keep an eye on it , i appreciate it

Daniel92481

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AE3BE102-9A3C-49E5-9582-E2C7263DC1F8.jpeg
I have a 2 inch maxima clam that has been doing great. I’ve had him for about 2 months now. He seems to open fully and closes up for a split second when I wave my hand under my light. I’m using a kessil 160 on a 25 Lagoon. He has always been placed on the sand bed. I recently noticed, after this pic was taken, that he moved a little, almost tipping over horizontally. My question is, do clams need to be placed upright like in my picture, or can they be happy lying horizontally as well? He is still doing great, fully extended.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try putting the clam on a flat rock so it can attach it's byssal threads. It will make moving the clam up in the tank easier if more light is needed. IME clams that move are not happy where there at. A clam that small could easily be moved by flow so giving it a rock to attach to would be a good idea. That's a nice maxima.

Daniel92481

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, when I first got him, he lost his foot and threads after about a month. Now, he just hangs out. He hasn’t moved much, but he did tilt a little. I’ll check him out when I get home tonight.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing that happens quite a bit with smaller clams is they will attach to the gravel, then every snail and crab moves them around. I have a little maxima right now that moves around a lot, but on close inspection he attached to gravel/sand and so when he opens/closes, hermits, snails all move him around.

Daniel92481

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh I see, I figured it could be the Astrea snails or hermits that might have moved him. He had a snail eating algae from his shell the other day. I thought that was neat to see. Like I said, his foot detached a while back along with the strings and still seems really healthy. They’re really amazing animals. I’m sure this was mentioned in an earlier post, but I’ll reiterate the fact that they are natural filters for our aquarium. We could all use that! ;)

chowwil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had this clam for 6 months now and is doing great. LFS sold to me as Derasa, but to me it don’t look like it. Can some ID.

F977FF95-8854-4CFF-9049-355278C6D4EB.jpeg

704B0FA5-8010-4EBB-B626-8CF973E5D54C.jpeg

USMC 4 LIFE

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will a Copperband Butterfly nip at a clam?

I understand they can eat clams purchased from the grocery store but will they nip on a healthy live clam?

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m getting ready to start clam shopping soon.

What would be the recommended “starter clam”, by species and size?

I personally like the blue maxima’s, but I’m not set on it.

Also, any recommendations on where to purchase would be welcome (based on your personal experience please)

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you like blue I'd try to find a blue squamosa. Not to sure where to look at this point. I know some vendors on here post clams time to time. You can try divers den but they don't have the best track record. Also, try to find one around 3-4". If you have the light then a maxima or crocea is nice. Derasa and squamosa are definitely easier to start with though.

Last edited:

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you like blue I'd try to find a blue squamosa. Not to sure where to look at this point. I know some vendors on here post clams time to time. You can try divers den but they don't have the best track record. Also, try to find one around 3-4". If you have the light then a maxima or crocea is nice. Derasa and squamosa are definitely easier to start with though.

Thanks DSC reef.

I’m almost 2 months stable with the major parameters and stocking.

I wanted to get to this point first!

If I can stay stable for another 30 days or so, I will begin my search.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks DSC reef.

I’m almost 2 months stable with the major parameters and stocking.

I wanted to get to this point first!

If I can stay stable for another 30 days or so, I will begin my search.
Glad to hear. With that new of a tank I'd look at derasa and or squamosa. Sounds like you have a great plan and cant wait to see what you choose. ORA has some nice clams. Make sure you post a pic when you get it!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back